Traveling w/ my PB

Discussion in 'Community' started by puckhead193, Jan 3, 2005.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I haven't traveled on a plane with a laptop since 9/11. I wanted to know how they inspect your laptop. DO they make you take it out and turn it on..... I'm going to FL (Fort Lauderdale) and staying with a friend. So i will have access to a computer but i want my laptop on the plane to watch DVD play around with photoshop etc.... plus i would feel weird watching Steve's keynote on a PC ;)
    thanks

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You don't have to turn it on - although they do advise leaving enough battery power so you can if asked to. I sleep mine.

In the US, they ask you to take it out of its bag/case so it can go through the xray machine on its own. Be wary of who is immediately in front/behind you in the queue so you can keep an eye on it at all times.
    In Europe, they let you leave it in the bag

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Depends on where you are at. Leaving it in th sleep mode should be enough to get you through security. If not, having the power adapter should be enough.

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I’ve read elsewhere here at MR that they make you put it in a bin; some have said that small particles in the bin have scratched the bottom of their Powerbooks. The last time I was at the airport, a guy ahead of me put his coat in the bin and then put his laptop (a Powerbook – how do ya like that!) on top of the coat. Security didn’t seem to mind, but I guess there’s always a chance they might not let you do that.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just took my iBook cross-country. They don't ask you to turn it on, but you do need to remove it from your bag and place it in a separate bin. I didn't have any problems with scratches in the plastic bins, but I suppose if you were really concerned about scratches you could bring a piece of paper to put on the bottom of the bin; I don't think they're supposed to let you put it on top of your coat. Another option would be to bring a kleenex or something to wipe out the bin before using. I imagine gravel could be a problem: people put their shoes in these bins, too.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Turn the bin upside down to get any sand out, and if you have something soft, put it under the computer. The bins are not very clean, and often have pieces of sand and dirt from peoples shoes. When I travel with my iBook, it has been taken aside several times by an inspector and wiped with what looks like some filter paper, which is put in a machine that (I would guess) analyses it for certain chemicals and substances. The whole process takes about 2 minutes. I've never had to turn it on, and I have traveled quite a bit. It is pretty obnoxious when they make you take your shoes off for no apparent reason, but that's why I wear my Merrell slip on shoes. :)

7. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Basically don't fall for the diversion routine. I flew last week and in all likelihood they will make you put it in a bin by itself.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've been advised to NOT sleep it. Sleeping a *book suspends it to RAM. In the X-ray machine, if a bit or two gets flipped around then you can have some issues waking back up or loose data if the RAM dealt with an application. I've always shut my PowerBook off, but had the battery fully charged. I've never seen them ask anyone to turn on a laptop, and I've gotten comments on "nice computer" too. And yes, I've dumped out the bins first. I tried putting my sweater under it once, but they told be to put the sweater in separately. No biggie, I haven't gotten any dents.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hmmm...I've never thought of that, but I've never had a problem in the past. I figure, don't have anything important open when you sleep it, and take the risk, because I hate waiting for my computer to start up (it's a pet peeve). It's cool, though, if you are in an airport without security screens around the monitors that they watch the x-ray scans on, to watch things go by. I've seen the innards of my computer that way. :D It's quite detailed.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sometimes they ask you to open your laptop (although I don't believe it has to be turned "on") and use a prod of some sort to go over the surface of the laptop. I think they're using the prod to automatically detect the presence of powders and chemicals used in bombs.

However, that hasn't happened to me in a couple of years.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Panther starts up so much faster than WinXP, I don't care too much... :D

12. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I have been flying back and forth from LA to Phoenix for the past two years finishing up my Executive MBA and my 17" PowerBook has gone trough security countless times.

I always leave my system in sleep mode in case there is a newbie in security who wants to flex his newly found power. That has not happen. Definitely watch who is in front and behind you as I have witness a couple of laptops walk off the screening belt minus their owner. I normally wait for the person in front of me to go through before I push my system through. I normally will put my shoes in a bin in front of my PowerBook and my backpack behind it.

I have tried in the past to put the sleeve underneath the PowerBook while it is in the bin and depending on the airport they will let you get away with it or make you take the sleeve out. Also watch your system when it comes through the X-ray machine. On occasion several bags will come down the belt and bunch up. I have seen several laptops get tossed out of their bins because their owners were too slow to remove them before the heavier bags came through. I normally grab my laptop first and then pick everything else up.

In March my laptop will accompany me to China and Japan. Hopefully being able to speak both languages will help me get my system through without any problems.

Good luck.

13. 173080 macrumors 6502

I've had a good experience and a bad experience with Airport security and my PowerBook.

The good one, I put everything in one bin and didn't take my PowerBook out of its case. Then I just see the guy behind the monitor laughing, stops the machine and calls another guy to see the screen. Then the guy he called asked me to take my PowerBook out of its case, put it in a separate bin, and then put all my other electronic devices in another bin. So he gives me a clean bin (Not the ones that everyone was using) so I can put my PowerBook there. Then in another bin I put my iPod mini, B&O Earphones, iPAQ and Digital Camera. After my PowerBook got through the machine the guy pulls out a piece of paper and rubs it all over my PowerBook, being extremely careful about it. He also placed a piece of what seemed to be paper under it so it wouldn't get scratched with the metal table. He asked me which PowerBook it was, and he said "Woah, it's one of the new ones". And he kept saying how nice my computer was, same with the iPod.

The bad one, I put my PowerBook in its own bin (At this time I already knew I had to do that), but the guy still wants to check it for bomb particles or something. So he gets the same kind of paper I saw the guy before use, but this time he puts it on what seemed to be a metal holder. He starts rubbing it all over my PowerBook, I got really paranoid (I'm EXTREMELY careful not to get it scratched, I won't let anyone else use it) and yelled "Careful!". Then I asked him if he could please be careful, as it was an expensive laptop I wouldn't like to see scratched. He looked at me like I was insane and continued rubbing that piece of metal on my PowerBook just like he was doing before. When I picked up my PowerBook, I noticed a white line on the case on the bottom, near the battery, (Which I was absolutely sure wasn't there before, I take care of my PowerBook better than anything. I clean the screen and keyboard everyday with iClean, if there was a scratch I'd notice.) I was extremely angry at this point, I asked the guy for his name, wrote it down on my PDA, told him he scratched my PowerBook and left (I was going to miss the flight). While on the plane I took out my PowerBook to further inspect the scratch. Luckily I carry iClean with me at all times, so I tried removing the scratch with it. Apparently it wasn't a scratch as iClean did remove it, but it really scared me.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This test is for explosives. Had a mishap in Las Vegas with this test. I had used film cans that were clear to help get me through security. They decided to swab the insides of the cans. Some came back positive for nitrites - according to a friend in security. Was nearly stripped searched, had my baggage recalled from the flight line, and ended up being written down in some logbook. At that point I had to demonstrate that all of my electronics were operable.

I was told that some hand lotions can trigger a positive on this test. Point being is be careful of where you get things from, and clean them first. Avoid lotions if at all possible. And arrive very early. If I had arrived with the guidelines they gave (60-90 minutes before flight at the time), I surely would have missed my flight home with the shorter time.

<joke> I am waiting for them to give us special flight gowns and slippers in order to fly. </joke>