Travelling to Seattle...Mariners, grub, etc.

Discussion in 'Community' started by craigdawg, May 13, 2004.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I'm going to be in Seattle in July for a training class and want to catch a game at Safeco and see my boy Ichiro.

Does anybody know if they still have good seats available on game day? I know they're having kind of a down year so are ticket sales down as well?

Also, are there any good places to eat around the airport?

Thanks!

2. acidrock macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get any food in the airport, I never go to the really fancy places so I wouldn't know. If I were you I'd just go downtown if you're flight doesn't get in to late. I believe you can buy tickets online if you go to I think, safeco.com, if not do a search on the web for Mariners and see the link that takes you to their website. You should be able to get tickets there, or see if the game is sold out. You will love Seattle.

nathan

3. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

SeaTac Mall has some great food in the area, just wander around and you should find something.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hey inside Safeco there's a great BBQ place co-run by Porter's and Dixie's (same people own both; one's based in Tacoma while the other is in Kirkland).

But BEWARE - if you are asked "have you met THE MAN?" they are talking about their habenero-based sauce. They have some toothpicks beside the container, and that is just the right implement to sample it. :D It is HOT HOT HOT! Good in very small quantities.

My brother was in line behind some jack*** who tried to prove what a stud he was by slathering his bbq sandwich with this sauce despite everyone warning him about it (it's got a reputation). The guy took one bite, got this look on his face, walked over to the trash and dumped the whole thing in there. Wish I'd been there!

Gameday ticket availability is really going to depend on the opponent and the day of the week. Yankees are gonna be sold out; Detroit on a Thursday is probably safe. Although the M's are playing so poorly right now they might be out of it by summer - in that case you'd have a good chance (although still not if the Yanks are in town).

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

the mariners aren't looking ot good this season. They used to be a classy club but they're getting kind of old these days. We'll see as the season progresses, i'm more worried about the cubbies.

6. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

People are stupid when it comes to things like that. I was with a buddy of mine at this horrible sushi place in Elk Grove, Cali and they had an item on the menu called the "Crazy Spicy Tuna Roll." The tuna was marinated in habanero chile juice, and had fresh habanero, Sambal, and some spicy tobiko. You had to sign a release form if you wanted to order it. My buddy was like, "It can't be that hot." Wrong. He barely ate one piece and they had to throw the rest away. I was ticked off because he wasted that food. Don't you know people are starving!?! :D

The Mariners are playing the Indians so it sounds like getting a ticket on game day won't be a problem. :)

I saw a game there a few years ago. I distinctly remember a machine that simultaneously steams the hot dogs and places grill marks on them. Fascinating.

7. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Reminds me of the time I was in AZ and looked around for hot wings. Having tried hot wings at a number of places, I know that a lot of places over exaggerate the level of hotness. I've tried wings called death, chernobyl, 911, etc. and usually they're not terribly hot. I'm Korean, so I'm used to spicy foods.

So I go into order wings at this dive bar looking place and they had regular, medium, and hot. I place an order for hot and the cashier warns me no refunds on food. I ask her if the wings taste bad or something. She says that no, people just complain it's too hot. That concerns me enough to change to half hot/half medium. I tried one "hot" piece and dang it was indeed the spiciest I've ever tried. It took me literally 30 minutes for my mouth to cool down enough for me to try to eat anything else. So after finishing of the ridiculously mild "medium" wings. I tried eating another "hot" one thinking that first one was a fluke. Same results. I could not eat anything else for 30 minutes. That was the only time I had to throw away wings because it was too spicy. Made me wonder why they bother making something so ridiculously hot that no one could eat it.

8. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

If you go anywhere... do not go to seatac... its really trashy... Southcenter is about 10 miles closer to Safeco and a whole lot cleaner... think the land of 1000 strip malls.

Really... if yer just going to a game both are a little far just to get a meal.

Haven't spent much time in the city but I would go with the BBQ place inside safeco...

9. gwangung macrumors 65816

Yeesh....I find anything south of downtown to be a bit characterless (well, OK, SoDo might be OK). For more character, I'd get up to Ballard, Capitol Hill, Wallingford (but not the U-District).

Too bad it;s July...both my theatre shows are closed by then....

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

And now for something completely different... :D

I find the term "SoDo" kinda funny. It's in part due to the fact that it's Seattle trying to pretend it's New York. But mostly it's because SoDo was originally called that cuz it was South of the (King)Dome - and of course the KingDome was imploded a few years ago to make room for Seahawk Stadium.

Now they've morphed it to mean South of Downtown, but I like the original point of reference better. :p

11. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

no wonder i'm so character-less... im 25 miles south of Downtown.

12. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

My hotel and class are near the airport so that's why I was asking about that area.

I was browsing the King County transportation website and saw that I can take the bus from my hotel to the game...is that a bad idea?