treachery?

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, May 31, 2003.

1. macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, as some of you know, my dad is a Dell employee. earlier this year, in March, he wanted me to apply for the "Dell Merit Scholarship." i figured, what the heck, there's not even an essay really. so i did. well, about 2 days ago, i was informed via email that i am one of 15 students who have received this scholarship; it's just $2000 to go with my National Merit Scholarship of $3000--it's a start, plus i have a free ride :D.

anyways, today i discovered that Micheal Dell is going to be handing out these awards to us at a ceremony on June 30th. i almost fell out of my chair (so to speak; i was standing at the time). i need to buy an Apple polo shirt now....

:D :cool: :D :eek:

2. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

National Merit Scholar wow..... I took the initial PSAT and I was ahead of 98% of students and I did not qualify for that quite impressive. Two people from my school did tho.

3. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: treachery?

hehe, congrats man! i reckon you should get an apple sticker and stick it to his back or something, that'd be funny

4. Guest

caveman_uk

Good on you. Money is money. Buy a mac with the cash:D

5. thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i think it has to be scholastically related. plus i already have a more valuable computer :D

but perhaps i can see if they have something going like that.

[edit]but thank you all kindly for all the congratulations; it's been a week of closings and awards with graduation and all. i wanted this thread to focus on meeting big mike though :D [/edit]

6. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Go to the ceremony and the second Michael Dell walks in, storm out yelling, "WHO TOLD ME I WAS GOING TO MEET STEVE JOBS?". Make sure you arrange to get your money before the ceremony. ;)

7. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ah haha! fantastic, good on ya mate.

there's some top stuff around that you should look at getting, maybe you could get an apple store employee shirt for the day or somehting, want me to ask at the SoHo store for ya?? they'd love that. :D

8. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

jeez. if you really, really wanted to, i bet you could sneak an apple reference into whatever press coverage they get for this...

the possibilites are endless...the apple polo is a nice idea. not too much, he may not notice...that's they key. be subtle so it can maybe see the light of press. i'm gonna keep thinking about this. i bet we can come up with something good;)

9. macrumors 604

scem0

Congrats! Where do I sign up? ;)

I actually have met 'Mr. Dell' before. His daughter went to my elementary school (St. Andrews Episcopal). I soooooooo would have hooked up with her if she wasn't six years younger than me. ;):D. Plus, 6 body guards would get kinda annoying.

10. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Congratulations! Does your Dad mind that you are such an Apple fanatic?

11. macrumors 65816

Roger1

Actually, I think you should thank Mr. Dell, profusely, making sure he gets your name, and knows who your dad is. You never know, it might help your dad out, in some small way. This is called "sucking up". Heck, he may end up liking you, and giving you a summer internship or something. :)

12. thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

lol. well he will know who my dad is if he cares. i don't think he gives out summer internships himself, though if i don't have a job by then and i get to talk to him, i'll probably have the balls to ask.

13. macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations shadowfax that is truly awesome! You are one lucky fella. I trust that you will be on your best behavior! ;) You never know it could endup leading to a job with Dell. Would you be interested?

14. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Get the mac from the "educational" store. You get a discount, and this way they can't say you are not doing it for your educational purposes. ;)

You can never have enough computers, ipods, gadgets, etc...

15. macrumors 6502

you should sooooo have one of these shirts on when they present the award. Here Hmm second thought your dad might loose his job...Anyway's Congrats! 3 of my friends recived that National merit award, I didn't :( sooo close yet sooo far.

16. macrumors G4

17. thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

*kiss* :-* :)

:p :eek: :p

where are the devious ideas?

18. thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

like an internship? maybe. but i'd really prefer not to work there out of college. my dad's been there 5 years and doesn't like it much anymore.

19. macrumors 65816

Roger1

Here's a thought, if you still want to be devious. If you have to wear a tie, find a small Apple pin (preferably a rainbow colored one) and use it as a tie tack.

Just a thought...:)

20. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: treachery?

I can't see any problem with *taking* money from Dell... it's when the cash starts flowing the other way that you're in trouble. :D

Congrats.

21. thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

do you really think the subtle route is better? maybe i should suck up and get an internship and then start with the apple pranks.

22. macrumors 68030

medea

don't be an ass, these people are giving you money and you are accepting it so don't make an ass out of yourself.
    at the most wear an apple shirt, don't push it though, they are giving you money for college but they probably don't like to support morons who make a fool out of themselves.....
    ok that came off a little harsh, but be a realist man, you want to start off in the right direction with school don't you,so be intelligent about this.

23. thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

(a) i have more scholarship money than i really can use.
    (b) this is just a joke, situational humor. i wouldn't really try to offend a multimillionaire. lighthearted humor. lighthearted humor! ;)

24. macrumors regular

If you got an internship they'd put you in the commercials with those other doofers.

25. thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

boy, wouldn't i love to be the next steven. i could even get arrested for smoking pot!