Treasury Dept. unveils the new look of the nickel

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Juventuz, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Hummmm

I thought all US Legal Tender needed "In God We Trust" on it?

[edit]
    just opened the web page, and i realized that those are the backs to TWO new neckels. so, i recind my previous comment. the front will prolly have the needed phrase.
    [/edit]

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Those are just the two new back designs. It is probably written on the front.

4. Juventuz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

The front won't change so it will say "In God We Trust" on the left, next to Jefferson's head.

5. crookedcharlie macrumors member

They don't need to have IGWT at all, in fact, they didn't until the 1950's, when they were squeezed in during the red scare.

6. leet1 macrumors 6502

I like them, especially the Lewis and Clark one. [​IMG]

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

THESE NICKEL's SUCK...

Ewwww... horrribbbleee.

:mad:

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, showing an important part of American history instead of some dude's house makes sense to me :p

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually not too bad - I do like the Lewis and Clark one more, and it will be interesting to see how they look in person. I wonder if they're going to redo the penny and dime next?

D

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Two backs? A three sided nickel?

You call it! Heads, Tails or Tails!!

:D

11. panphage macrumors 6502

It's funny that students aren't allowed to start any kind of religion-based club at school (STUDENT-led and organized, no teachers or school officials involved) because using a school room could be considered the school "promoting" that religion, nor can a student pray before a test, nor are we sure it's legal to force student's the recite a pledge containing the phrase "one nation, under god", but it's okay to have "In God We Trust" emblazoned on all our currency. Does this mean it's illegal to carry US currency in a public school? Can you get expelled for having money just like you can get expelled for praying before a test?

Just like the declaration of independence says that when a government is interefering with your rights it is your DUTY to overthrow that government, BUT...the first thing the constitution does is make treason punishable by death. Ahh, I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning.

PS: Not religious AT ALL, but a firm believer in "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” falsely attributed to Voltaire.

12. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

why the hell do we need a new nickel? next they are gona waste time making a new penny. who the hell uses pennies? who even carries around cash anymore?

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no kidding, its all about the benjamin's and plastic.

iJon

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that both drawings look nice. The Lewis and Clark trip was quit an amazing feet. It's nice to commorate historic events.

15. skymac macrumors member

Getting expeled for praying before a test, now i dont know but i find that so stupid its not funny, in some of my classes, not only do i say a little prayer but a see one or two others do the same.

As for the nickel, i dont like them, but then again i dont have to see them every day of my life. :)

16. rjrufo macrumors regular

skymac,
    It looks like you're from Canada. I'm wondering if Canada has the same law as the US about separation of church and state. Here in the US, there are a lot of stupid laws that say that students can't pray, or form religious groups on school property. Does Canada have something similar?

I think that the schools - and lawyers - should leave the kids alone. If they want to pray, let 'em. If they want to get together with other kids who believe in the same thing, let 'em. What ever happened to "Free speech"?

As for the nickel, I like the L&C one too.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

my school has none of that. we have churches come visit at school, sometimes people pass out bibles in the front, and we have see you at the pole. they just dont allow organized prayers like the rest of the schools, because someone may be offended. but with the see you at the pole and bible passing out, if you dont like dont go and dont grab a bible. now your school may have tighter restrictions.

iJon

18. leet1 macrumors 6502

Back when I was in highschool they use to stand out front and pass out those orange little ones; made great rolling papers
    :p lol

19. rjrufo macrumors regular

Now that's interesting, where are you located? Maybe it's different in other parts of the country?

20. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I believe both phrases should be removed from our money and the pledge. I attest that your argument is nil, as many would like to see any reference to -any- god removed from all government works. I agree that there is hypocrisy, but I don't see it through the same eyes as you.

Dan

edit - I would like to know the sources for students getting hassled for praying before tests?

ps - students are free to pray in school in America... it's school led prayer that is illegal. try praying at school and tell me if you get arrested.

21. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    time for US history 101...
    who were lewis and clark???? i for one can't stop thinking of superman when i hear that ;) (and yeah i know that was lois)

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thomas Jefferson (the 3rd US President) sent Lewis and Clark on an expedition to see *what was out there*. With the recent addition of the Louisiana Purchase (all the land to the east of the Mississippi from France) there was a lot of land out there that no one had really seen.

Its a great story, and one of the better books on the subject was written by Steven Ambrose, better know for a lot of military history books. They ended up going all the way to the Pacific. Quite a trek.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_1/102-4246445-1328101?v=glance&s=books&st=*

D :D

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, that's not entirely true. It hadn't been seen by many of the European immigrants, but many Native Americans had called that land home for many, many years.

Still, the L and C saga is quite riveting. As a backpacker and avid outdoor hiker/camper etc. I am always in awe at what people did with the equipment they had back then. I can't even imagine setting out without a map (let alone making one as I go), nor setting out on a trip whose duration I had no clue about. No camelbacks, no hiking boots, no down sleeping bags, no lightweight compressible clothing particularly raingear. It's just amazing how much gear has changed since then.

24. panphage macrumors 6502

Sorry, anecdotal, so I guess we know how accurate that is. ;)

But I do remember a student at a public school being forbidden to lead others in a voluntary prayer at some sort of large gathering, I think a commencement speech. The point is that parents and the supreme court have schools so skittish that any expression of religious belief by students is strenuously avoided, yet here we have a strong profession of Christian belief emblazoned on all our legal tender. I think the former is a misguided stifling of free expression, not to mention repressing fundamental religious expression by individuals, while the latter is an improper promotion of a specific religious belief by the Federal Government. But I have libertarian leanings. :D

PS I think it's high time Lewis and Clarke got some serious government recognition for their amazing feat. It does indeed beat the hell out a picture of some guy's house.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

More specifically, to find a water passage from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean.