Treasury urges Congress to raise debt limit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Dec 29, 2005.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I say let us go into default. Teach Georgie a lesson about borrow and spend. This is what happens to everyone else who doesn't pay his/her bills.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

Yeah, George W is the only president to have the US economy going to pot during a war. It's unbelievable.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, what did you expect? He's done this to every business he's run. Straight into the ground. Kinda funny though that the deficit goes up under conservatives. Especially when they raise taxes like his Daddy did. Howard Dean was more of a fiscal conservative than these neocons.

5. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Has blaming 9/11 fallen out of vogue already?

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Fact is Clinton left a pile of money when he left office, Bush will leave a pile of debt that he and the republicans created.

7. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

It's funny how "tax and spend" is somehow a bad label for the Democrats.

How about "borrow and spend Republicans"? :mad:

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

To be fair, Republicans did try to reduce spending a little by taking money away from poor people and students.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Took the words right out of my mouth. Weird how none of the Bush voters back in 2000 noticed this.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

It has nothing to do with why we went to war. I was talking about how the economy should be booming during a war, regardless of why the war came to be.

11. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think you misunderstood.

Blaming 9/11 for the slumping economy/deficit/debt/lack of job recovery/price of oil/etc. was SOP for much longer than the events could be responsible.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Okay, first of all, the Congress will *never* let the country default. Especially not a Republican congress under W.

I can't imagine what the political and economic consequences would be. If the US defaults (and we *live* off our debt), it could send the entire world into a frenzy. Some are already warning that our debt level is so high it could hurt us if it gets called in. If we default, you can bet that a lot of countries that hold US securities are gonna want their money.

Question is, how can we make the point that the national debt has risen by x trillion dollars under W, without the standard "9-11" defense being trotted out to blow it off. Or the fact that inflation is under control and jobs are being created. I'm not saying these are good reasons to ignore a structural deficit, but the Republicans will certainly user them.

I like "borrow and spend" Republicans, but it just doesn't have the same derogatory ring as the Dem version.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmmm, when I overspend my bounds... I *cut back*.... :( Ugh. But then I suppose I know what this administration will cut back on. More grounds for regime change during the next election....

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Funny, I think "borrow and spend" is far more derogatory. It speaks to the fiscal irresponsibility of the neocons and their hypocracy.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, but the brilliant thing about "tax and spend" is that it's got the word tax in it.

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- that's good. :)