Tremulous [Mac OS X | Windows | GNU/Linux]

Discussion in 'Games' started by risc, Jun 30, 2006.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more...

Tremulous @ Apple (Mac OS X Universal Binary)
    Tremulous homepage (Windows and GNU/Linux)

2. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Bump in case you guys haven't seen this yet... great game, and you can't beat the price!

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

What's more. This game has recently been updated to Universal Binary. I'm in a First person shooters down so I haven't tried it yet. I might have a look soon. Hey! Free Game!

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Looks pretty cool, and as risc has said, you can not beat the price. :)

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Wow, a free game that looks good and that's available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. And it also mixes FPS with RTS, an idea I had a few years ago.

Can't wait to try this one with my Windows and Linux friends! :D

6. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

man thats awesome, is there other games that are free and can go online?

7. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

I found Tremulous at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/ just keep looking there and you'll find stuff.

8. shanmui1 macrumors member

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Downloading it now, I'll tell you how it does.

10. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

man...that game is hard , its really difficult to shoot the dretches becuase they are so small. but the game is awesome!

Anyone here wanna play each ohter?

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

In the gaming section part of this forum, we should start a thread - sticky one - that no one should reply to - except to post their own games. E.g.
    I would make a post that I was hosting a server 24/7 for Tremulous and it would be called iBook G4 Tremulous - with the availability for 16 players to play. Any game you post would have to be hosted by you, if you reply that's bad, we only want those people to reply if they have a game to host that people want to play. If someone would setup a spare mac (G4 prefereably otherwise a fast G3) for tremulous, we could have a our own MacRumors gamers union - Guild

BEST FREEWARE GAME I'VE PLAYED IN A WHILE

12. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

whats your name on tremulous, maby ill look for you when im playing on it =)

13. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Oh I won't be on it for a while. I'm going to finish learning Objective-C, I ordered a Cocoa programming book, I work 5 days in a row starting on Wednesday. I have to help fix the downstairs today and tomorrow so yeah. When I get on... maybe I'll do a dedicated server while I'm away. Then you guys can go at it, btw it may be slow bc it will be going off of wireless. But I do have 54 MB/s and 1.5Mbps inet.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Downloading now. I'll try it out after poker tonight. ^.^

15. player1 macrumors newbie

macbook+tremulous

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone is still playing Tremulous on a MacBook. It sounds like a really cool game. So did you guys start that clan? Is anyone still playing? How hard is the game? Was the OS X download easy to install? Do I need to insert code into route directories or can I just start shooting bugs pretty much right away?

On a related note, have you tried Sauerbraten, or any of the other free shooters for OS X out there?

Know of any good single-player FPS games that run on a 2G w/1G MacBook?

If anyone is still playing, let me know. If you can recommend any good shooters that won't run like crap in OS X on a pretty stock MacBook, please stand up. Please stand up.

Thanks.

PlayerOne

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

WOW thanks Apple for your fast downloads!! It's @ 490 kb/s, only being crippled by my constant 100 kb/s torrent speed. LOL.

17. azizane macrumors member

close combat: first to fight is a great game and the universal patch was released recently. it's minimum requirments: 256 RAM and 32 VRAM

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

wow a free game and a pretty decent one too.

thread of the day material definitely. Thanks RISC. :)

20. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

Great game, but those aliens are insane to hit. If they are small, they run around and then kill you. If they are large just shooting them can't stop them before they get you.

21. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Another game you might want to try if your into fps and online play is Americas Army. Its totally free and put out by the Army.

http://www.americasarmy.com/

22. player1 macrumors newbie

Tremulous is GREAT!

Currently playing. Runs on a MacBook Core 2 Duo, with 22" ext. mon., and Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Sweet, Quake-based teamplay with insane action, multiplatform, active community, good all-around FUN game. Even on the public servers, which is where I play.:) :p ;) :D

Download Tremulous NOW! You'll thank yourself as soon as you get your first headchomp. Best FREE shooter ever?

@ Steven: Run backwards while shooting, and stay in well-lit, long hallways near support (teammates, medistation, etc.). Or just go alien. :p