Trent Lott

Discussion in 'Community' started by wwworry, Dec 10, 2002.

1. wwworry macrumors regular

from NYTIMES

Last week, at Strom Thurmond's 100th-birthday party, Mr. Lott recalled Mr. Thurmond's 1948 race for the presidency. "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

What, exactly, did Mr. Lott mean by "all these problems"? Mr. Thurmond ran a one-issue campaign: "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race," declared his platform.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Everybody knows the negroes have done nothing but cause problems and should have been sent back to Africa while their numbers were still small.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

aaaaaamen

someone enlighten me... is lott a dem or rep?

4. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Lott is a Republican.

Update: Lott has since issued an apology for the remark. It seems apparent that Lott meant to honor Thurmond at his birthday and was not declaring any support for his then racist views (however wrong, his views were common in the south in the 194O's among white people; his views have since changed like so many others who once thought the same). Sen. Tom Daschle (Dem. S.D.) said he likely chose unfortunate wording in expressing his praise for Thurmond.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

President Bush needs to get out in front of this by calling for Trent Lott's resignation. Its a big political story. Reason, he's the President & its the right thing to do. I'm ashamed of what Lott said, there is no excuse.

Democrats probably won't bring up their issues. Because Democrats are given the benefit of the doubt. Sen. Robert Byrd, D VA a former member of the Klu Klux Klan. Former Sen, Albert Gore, Sr., D, TN voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1963. Sen. Fulbright, D who is idolized by former President Clinton, was an open Segregationist. I think its sad that they get by with their own indiscretion! Sen. Byrd, "I have seen plenty of white ******s." His statement was over in 48 hours.

But to the point Lott as the leader of the Republican Party in the Senate should resign. He should renounce what he said, because it was a racist remark. Do what is right to save President Bush from a political nightmare, the South.

You should fall on your sword for the good of the party!

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I don't think that Lott should be forced to resign. I think everyone should be entitled to their views, whatever they happen to be. Trent Lott may be a racist idiot, and the rest of his party or the Democratic Party or whatever party has every right to ask him to resign, but he shouldn't be forced to oblige. Hopefully Mississippians will simply elect someone a little less racist and backwards next time.

7. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

8. wwworry thread starter macrumors regular

I always knew he was a racist. What I want to know is if his hair is real or not. If it is then what sort of glue does he use.

[​IMG]

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe his hair is real, alot of comments r/t how he fixes his hair are negative, his personal taste.

He's not a racist according to the definition, he dosesn't believe in policies based on race, preferences, or superiority of race.

He definitely needs to make a sincere apology, its important that we can move on quickly. We have important issues ahead of us as Americans!

10. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I knew it was coming

I knew this would make it to the boards sooner or later. So here we go:

For all the slow people on the boards let's stop and think about this in a logical and rational manner. I know it might be tough to do, but please try to keep up with me here.

Senator Trent Lott is the current minority leader and soon to be majority leader of the Senate. This means he is a very powerful and influential man and has a responsibility to represent the Republican party. He knows this and he knows that everyone else knows this too. So I'm very sure that he is very careful to watch his every word so as not to make unbecoming comments.

What we have here is a simple misunderstanding. His words were meant to be in praise of Strom Thurmond's service in government. Lott would in no way make a purposeful comment that favored segregation because he knows that would ruin his career. Not to mention that the speech he gave was televised.

So obviously he did not mean to make this statement sound as if he was a racist and he certainly didn't want to offend anyone. However, people took his comments to have a different meaning. A meaning which he in no way meant to convey. Senator Lott realized that his statement was questionable and apologized twice for having mistakenly offended someone.

Bottom line:
    It was a misunderstanding, which Lott apologized for. If you think a simple misunderstanding warrants someone's resignation then you are a fool.

Yes, I said it. If you think Trent Lott should resign over something so petty then you are an idiot.

(On a side note, It wouldn't surprise me if the people who call for Lott's resignation are those very same people who thought Clinton lying about an affair under oath was no big deal. To those people: don't be a hypocrite.)

Matt

P.S. I know I'm new to posting on the boards and the political threads, but I think I've managed to piss a few people off so far. This is because, unlike others on the board, if you say something really ignorant (especially intentional ignorance in the case of a partisan) I'm gonna call you on it.

11. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Nice job, mkubal. I thought I had clarified it at the beginning, but nobody caught on. Lott's only mistake was saying something that could be taken so out of context. Good grief, he just wanted to praise Strom Thurmond on his 100th, but now he's a terrible racist who must resign or else.

12. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

This is stupid. Ol' Ironsides is like 100 years old, and Lott was just trying to pay him a compliment. It was his damn birthday people.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    as much as i'm not a fan of lott, i too believe it was just a comment meant to praise strom...not dredge up old segregation issues. let it go people.

i will add that i don't think strom has known he was in public office for quite a few years...;)

but trent, WTF with that hair.:eek:

14. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Voting for old racist man

I don't know why anyone would even say that they would have voted for Mr. Thurmond back then. What a horrible thing to say. Yucky. Mr. Lott.

15. wwworry thread starter macrumors regular

Re: I knew it was coming

Your argument that he would not openly support segregation because he is the senate majority leader is weak. I could just as easliy say that he would obviously, because he is the senate majority leader, support stricter environmental legislation; who in their right mind would not?
    (to be clear, this would be a false assumption)

You can not make an assumption of one thing based apon an unrelated second thing. Maybe he was remembering his own youthful support for Thurmond. Maybe it was something else. We can't really know.

We have to give weight to his apology as well. But by apologizing we can only say that he has issued conflicting statements on racial equality and then look at his actions.

Here is part of his voting record:
    * Voted YES on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Oct 2001)
    * Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
    * Voted NO on setting aside 10% of highway funds for minorities & women. (Mar 1998)
    * Voted YES on ending special funding for minority & women-owned business. (Oct 1997)
    * Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
    * Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
    * Voted YES on Amendment to prohibit flag burning. (Dec 1995)
    * Voted YES on banning affirmative action hiring with federal funds. (Jul 1995)
    * Supports anti-flag desecration amendment. (Mar 2001)

It's not like he is taking the lead on this issue either.

here is a good site for checking out the voting records http://www.issues2002.org/Senate/Trent_Lott.htm

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just because someone doesn't believe in affirmative action as being the solution to things doesn't make him/her a racist.

i don't know much about the guy, and he may be a racist. but that comment, come on, you really have to read into it to get fired up about it.

17. mkubal macrumors 6502a

wwworry:
    My assumption was based on the fact that no one in government, in their right mind would, would openly support segregation. His status as majority leader just adds to that. I would assume that about anyone. No representative or senator would vote in favor of a law supporting segregation (assuming a vote somehow made it to the floor, which would be impossible) because the courts have already deemed segregation as unlawful. To openly support such and idea would mean one's political death. Therefore, based on the fact that Senator Lott would not want his political career to come to an end, I CAN make the assumption that he would not openly support segregation.

BTW, the issue of segregation is on a completely different level then environmental issue. To take my assumptions about human rights and apply them to the environment would be ridiculous. Basic human rights, drilling in the Arctic Wildlife Reserve...completely different issues. If you can't see that, let me know and I'll expand upon the differences.

Matt

18. mkubal macrumors 6502a

wwworry:
    And I forgot. About the voting records. They aren't a very good measure of someone stance on issues and here's why: if you follow politics you realize that every bill has things that are tacked on to the end as favors to various peoples constituents. The fact that someone votes against an environemental bill doesn't automatically mean that they are against preserving the environment. You have to look at all the things that were tacked on to that bill because they could all have weighed equally in a person's vote.

Here's a better example. The Democrats for a while refused to pass the Homeland Security bill. This wasn't because they didnb't believe that we needed to protect America, it was because they disagreed with some of the specifics on how things would be implemented.

One little thing can make someone vote no on a bill.

Matt

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sen. Lott made a sincere apology today, we should accept & move on.

20. wwworry thread starter macrumors regular

mkubal:
    as for the environment I said "(to be clear, this would be a false assumption)". We are in agreement that they are two completely different issues.

As for voting records again we agree. In fact it was the Democrats, Joe Liberman, who came up with the idea for the Homeland security bill in the first place. Bush rejected that idea for 8 months before deciding to claim it as his own.

But certainly Lott and the republican party has had great success in the south courting racist attitudes. True they would never come right out and say that they are racists and, in fact, I believe most of them including Bush, are not racists. That does not stop them from going to Bob Jones University every 4 years (where inter-racial dating was banned) to get votes. Playing the race card with ads like the Willie Horton ad, paying people in black neighborhoods to hold up signs encouraging people NOT to vote, etc. Here is another quote form the Times:

"But it was the Democrats who paid the price for the law that banned discrimination in public accommodations and employment, allowing the federal government to stop aid to programs that discriminated and giving Washington the power to sue to desegregate schools.

As President Lyndon B. Johnson predicted to Bill Moyers on the evening he signed the bill, "Bill, I think we just delivered the South to the Republican Party for a long time to come.""

LBJ was correct.
    In short, you probably can't say who is and who is not a racist at heart but you can see where people use segregationist attitudes to gain votes. They'll do anything to get votes, everyone will.

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Statements like " I always knew he was a racist", unless you personally know the man, are just as ignorant as the statement that he made.

Sure, it was really, really, bad, and should he resign the majority leader position, sure, but resign completely? No, let the people of the state of Mississippi, where he got 25% of the black vote in the last election, remove him from office in a few years.

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: I knew it was coming

Wow, he votes like I would.
    Nice to see someone with the values that I have supporting what I believe in the government.

23. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Let me give you all a southern perspective on this. I'm fairly active in local politics down here and I have some idea of the way these things work.

Lott made a mistake in his words. This was a biggy, as far as mistakes go, so it will cost him something. B2TM's idea that he should resign the leader seat is probably the most logical. I do not think Mr. Lott is a racist, but someone with that kind of power should be better at choosing words or some one else should have that power. Otherwise, let the voters decide, that's what elections are for.

Lott is a kind of new-South old boy, if that makes any since at all to people from other parts of the country. They are everywhere down here. They are not really racist, and the certainly don't see themselves that way. What they are is culturally insensistive. Not with any malice mind you, they just don't have an understanding of how cultures live together. For these people, other races are not bad, they are simply the working class. Mr. Lott belongs to a generation of men who grew up with a certain since of entitlement, not only to money but to politics and power as well. They consider their black housekeeper a member of the family, but one who could be fired or replaced, used as needed.

As I said before, these men aren't really racists, they just don't have a real grip on the world. I will say, however, that they are very homophobic, as they consider that against nature.

The homophobia draws a strange Paralell with the black community, which in the South also happens to be very homophobic. There are not big name, openly gay MCs, and I've yet to hear about a gay Wide Reciever in the NFL (though rumors fly about our own Eddie George, I have personaly seen him in the company of strikingly beautiful women)

This strange dicotomy of no real racist malice, but no clear idea of other races as equal, is something we are going to have to deal with for the next fifteen years or so, untill all these old men start dying off and people who grew up in a post civil-rights world get a chance.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: I knew it was coming

Absolutely. He obviously supports equal rights to everyone. Not to just a select few.