treo 650 and sprint pcs

Discussion in 'Community' started by Studawg7, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Studawg7 macrumors regular

For anyone in the US, I am currently testing out a new treo 650 on sprint's network. I absolutely love this phone!!! However, I am hesitant to switch to sprint. Anyone have any experience with the new treo 650 and sprint?

cheers

ps please dont make this a sprint bashing thread, just make it informative and civil like all of us mac people are ;)

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm quite pleased with Sprint service in the Orlando, FL area and wherever I've been in Floriduh, it's been quite good as well. They've come a long way since 2000 when I first started with them but signal and reliabilty were always good for me. I've heard a lot to the contrary over the U.S.A. when not in a municipal area but that was the main argument against PCS service anyway.

I've been hearing great things about the Treo 650 and was hoping to buy one eventually. Some people have complained that the camera is still VGA resolution but others have said that it's improved quite a lot over the Treo 600's camera.

3. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

gsm or cdma

I am in VA and so far the coverage seems fine. I am a little concerned about cdma and gsm. I know gsm is basically a worldwide standard and cdma supposedly has the best call quality. I am just having a tough time deciding to either wait for the gsm model or go ahead with this model. Note, I am not really planning on making calls oversees etc so that part of gsm isnt worth much to me.

4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

My job is travel, mostly in the US, some in Canada, Mexico, and Central America.

Sprint will NOT work south of the border, and has limited service in Cananda.

Sprint is pretty good in the US, as long as you're in a metropolitan area. They only put towers where the people are to pay for them. If you're driving cross country, you're roaming.

That said, if you don't do much cross country driving, or out in the country driving, you'll be OK with Sprint's service area.

Their customer service is, well, less than optimal. Once you get the account up and running right, it's OK - but if you have to call, or have a problem with your plan or a bill, you're in for a goat rope. I pay for lots of minutes, I don't roam, and I don't have problems.

Voicemail with Sprint can be slow in arriving if you were out of the service area or had the phone off - to the tune of arriving a day late or worse.

All told, I was much happier with ATT's TDMA plans, but they don't offer much in that line anymore. But you pay for it.

Look here - www.phonescoop.com Take what they say with a grain of salt, lots of whiners there.

5. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link and thanks for the replies!