Treo 650 or 750?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dunepilot, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2002
    I'm looking to get a treo to replace my phone and old Palm, but I have a dilemma.

I can get a 650 from Phones*****.com but it'd mean changing networks from Vodafone to Orange (which my gf would prefer I didn't do, since she's recently renewed a contract with Vodafone, and would like me to be on the same network due to free same-network minutes).

On the other hand Vodafone have also just started carrying the Treo 750. However, it runs windows mobile, which I think would make syncing more difficult with my Macs and would pose problems in bringing data forward from my old Palm.

Would it be possible for me to install PalmOS over Windows Mobile, either now, or in the future? If not, I think I'll have to go with a 650 on Orange.

Also, I've heard that the 650s crash quite often. What are MR users' experiences?
  2. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    my mother went through 3 650s and I can't stand them. Very slow and unresponsive IMHO.

I dunno about the 750, but she got the 700W and returned it almost immediately- they're impossible to use with that evil microsoft windows mobile on it. Instead she got the 700P which runs palm os, and it is much faster and more responsive.
  3. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    HIGHLY recommend the 650, got mine last year and its been going strong syncs seemlessly and is the best smartphone for me. I've tried symbian and MS but all are incredibly slow. Palm OS is very fast for me and stable only had about 3 resets which were due to crap software i tried to install. However i hear palm plans to release a Palm OS version of the 750 in the near future so you might want to wait.
  4. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Absolute and utter crap phones.

Let's put it this way. It sounds a tone ONCE when you have a voice mail.

So you're in the crapper and your phone is in the kitchen charging. It rings and you don't hear it while you are in there and someone (maybe a client) leaves a message.

You go back to your office, or run down the street to get a cup of coffee - runn the vaccum cleaner, whetever.

You'd never know because it sounds one tone after the initial call and that's it. You'd have to check the screen otherwise.

My last $19.99 phone let me know when there was a voicemail audibly.

The keyboard sucks. Period. End of.

It syncs like crap with OS X no matter what program you use and no matter how well you configure the conduits.

The camera sucks. Period. End of. .3 fracking megapixels.

Want more?

Get a Blackberry. :)
  5. Dubba macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya
    I have used the Treo 600 & 650 in the past, both when they first came out. The 700 was a compelte non-starter for me.

I dislike the look and bulk of the BlackBerry.

I bought a Nokia e61 when they first came out and would never go back. Slender, excellent keyboard, and intuitive.

Just my $0.02.
  6. Hicks. macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2006
    I've owned a Treo 650 the past 18 months and a Treo 600 prior to that. Truly excellent devices if you know what you're doing with the Palm OS. Granted, some of the hardware features are a compromise.

I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to re-flash the ROM of either with a different OS.
  7. loudguitars macrumors member

Nov 3, 2004
    I'm on my 2nd 650 and while I'm satisfied with almost everything, there's one key thing that's a piece of crap: the actual phone.

Email? Great. Calendar, address book, etc etc? Fantastic, astoundingly easy to use.

The phone itself sucks. Both that I've had (I finally got the first one replaced after 6 months) started exhibiting minor reception issues after three months that at four turned major and by six, at least in the case of the first one, turned unusable. And these are in areas where I have three bars of service, where I have no business having constant dropped calls and texts that don't come through for over 45 minutes, and where other customers of my service provider with different phones have no problem.

No experience with the 750 as I'm in the states and they're not available here yet, but I'd definitely say stay away from the 650 if you use it as your primary phone.
  8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    I ?think? google maps only supports the 650 for now. I love mine(650). I loathe pocketpc
  9. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    Do not get the 650. Wait a few weeks and get the 680. Its sooo nice. I played with one at DigitalLife in NYC last weekend. Def. worth it.
  10. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    Blackberries don't have touch screens. So no. Never.
  11. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2005
    The Hub of the Universe
    What are the advantages, if any, of the 680 over the 700? The only differences I see is the lack of an antenna and availability in multiple colors.
  12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    I've been running a Treo 650 for about a month now and I'm gradually getting the hang of it and do actually quite like it now that I've customised it to my preferences. it looks smart, big touchscreen, fast e-mail download over GPRS or wifi (it came with the Enfora wifi sled).

As others have said, some of the features are compromised. Things like Bluetooth 1.1, USB 1.1 and a 0.3MP camera don't stack up to well against newer handsets (the 650 was launched in 2004). I've also found myself questioning call clarity and signal power compared to my Sony Ericsson.

With the 750v, I saw this in the Vodafone shop on Saturday. It rectifies the hardware isssue but runs windows mobile 5.0, which very few people like and I read somewhere that the Palm OS is dead because all future models will run Windows.

You could try waiting for the 680 but I'm not sure how soon it will be out in the UK.

I'd say really consider what you want either for as the 650 may not tick as many boxes as you want (and it's old tech), while the 750v is cursed with its OS.