Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
well, i wanted to get a smartphone/blackberry with my Verizon service but can't make up my mind.
will one of these phones sync better than the other with my PB? i was thinking that since the palm 700 has the windows os instead of the palm, i may have some troubles. i will be syncning my calendar, address book, and Mail.
any advice? or will there be something new and better soon?

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
you'll need pocketmac with the blackberry...or that's what my sister uses cause she can't seem to sync with iSync or something. i dont know, i dont use pdas. just trying to get my 2 cents in.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
proverbs said:
well, i wanted to get a smartphone/blackberry with my Verizon service but can't make up my mind.
will one of these phones sync better than the other with my PB? i was thinking that since the palm 700 has the windows os instead of the palm, i may have some troubles. i will be syncning my calendar, address book, and Mail.
any advice? or will there be something new and better soon?

You might want to wait a bit on the Blackberry...

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
No need to wait on the Blackberry...the US Patent office just rejected ALL 5 of NTP's patents for the fifth time now...

The Blackberry is a much better device in my opinion (yes, I work in the wireless industry), and RIM just licensed PocketMac so they should be offering it for free soon to anyone with a Blackberry.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
cool. i think i'm going with the 7130e. the only thing i dont like is that there are 2 letters on each key instead of one.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
proverbs said:
cool. i think i'm going with the 7130e. the only thing i dont like is that there are 2 letters on each key instead of one.

Thats why you should switch to Cingular and go with the Blackberry 8700c! The best Blackberry I have ever used! ;)

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2006
Treo 650...

I went with a 650 from Earthlink so I could have the data access and verizon... I have had cingular, but am so tired of bad service and incoming calls not connecting I decided just to cancel when my new phone gets here.

If you need windows on your Treo, then go 700. I went 650 because I want the Palm OS since I am switching to all Macs.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
that treo looks awesome with the palm os, but its for sprint.

i wish i could switch carriers, but i've had bad experiences with every other service provider. verizon has the crappiest phones with the rudest and most obnoxious in-store salesman - but i've never had a problem with the reception.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
proverbs said:
verizon has the crappiest phones with the rudest and most obnoxious in-store salesman - but i've never had a problem with the reception.

You forgot terrible customer service and nasty, insidious overage charges. But dernit, only Verizon works where I live.

And now I want a blackberry... :rolleyes:

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
unless I'm mistaken ---- I don't think there's a solution out there that allows you to sync a TREO 700w with a Mac ---- mainly because its using WM5

am I wrong/right?

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
yellow said:
If you need/want to use the Blackberry Desktop Management software, then you're SOL unless you have a PC.

what do you mean desktop management??

i just ordered my 7130e, and should receive it tomorrow.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
proverbs said:
what do you mean desktop management??

Just what I said, I mean Blackberry Desktop Manager software.

It's one means of configuration, though the new BB Server allows for partial wireless config.

If you need to use the Desktop Manager config pieces for whatever reason, you're SOL if you're on a Mac. It's PC Only.

Attachments

• BBDM.jpg
    BBDM.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 52

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Can't use the desktop manager software, but you can use isync to synchronize your data with ical, address book, entourage, etc. Just to clarify.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
discoforce said:
Can't use the desktop manager software, but you can use isync to synchronize your data with ical, address book, entourage, etc. Just to clarify.

Which is worthless, more or less, for me.

Can't use that with Lotus Notes, and you cannot config the device.

FieldsOfDreams

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
NYC
go with the treo!

I've had both and was not happy at all with the blackberry. Plus if you plan on typing a lot on the keyboard the treo is the way to go. Blackberry sometimes requires you to buy third party software to serf the net. Thats my two cents

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I like my Blackberry. I've had no problems with the keyboard, and it surfs fine (slowly), but won't work so well complicated sites and java heavy sites.

PGUPTA

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
ckeck said:
Thats why you should switch to Cingular and go with the Blackberry 8700c! The best Blackberry I have ever used! ;)

My vote also goes with BlackBerry 8700c……
in addition to being the most superior blackberry it also has a gr8 battery with an highlighting feature of an Intel processor……….nice one!!!!:rolleyes:
29675_pdi.gif

got this form letstalk.com

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Amazon currently has a special on the 8700c... FREE after rebates!

I would totally get one, except for the fact that they charge $44.99/month for data/email access ON TOP of your required monthly phone fee of at least $39.99. With all the excess charges and taxes, that's close to $100/month minimum. I just don't have that kind of dough to throw around. Also, they have a 2-year contract with Cingular, and I don't want to be locked in for 2 years.

Does anyone know if there's a company out there that has data & voice packages for cheaper? Supposedly Verizon or T-Mobile have combined rates where it's around $70-80/month for both data and voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.