Trialing Mac OS X Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Matt W, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Matt W macrumors newbie

Matt W

Hi Guys.

I am currently a Windows XP user with a standard P4 PC but understand that Tiger can run in this environment. With the bloated Vista on the horizon I wanted to try out the Mac OS so that I can decide which way to go when the time comes!

Am I right in thinking that I can run Mac OS on this standard PC? And is there any way of trialing the Mac OS software? I have come to the conclusion that demo's are not offered but before I give up on Mac OS I wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Without knowing the full specs of your machine, I'll say maybe. It is illegal though.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sorry, no way of trialing Mac OS X.

As far as installing Mac OS X on a PC, not really a good idea. It won't give you the same experience, as it won't run as smoothly as on a Mac. (It is also my understanding that you have to have the original install disks that cam with your Mac, so you'd have to buy a Mac before you could install it on your PC.)

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yeah, legally, you definitely won't be able to load Tiger on your P4.

Your best bet is to check out Tiger in the Apple Store (the employees won't care if you're there for a few hours!). Plus, if you want Tiger (or Leopard, Apple's next OS coming out within the next year), you'll need to buy a Mac anyway, so going to the Apple Store is a good way to find out which computer you'll want to buy (iMac, iBook, Mac Mini, etc.)

CP

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

It could work as smoothly...just depends on the hardware. Not to give any hints on how to do it (as that isn't allowed here of course), but you don't have to have the install disks from a past Mac...but again, illegal.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In theory, it could work as well, but I think it would be unlikely that his hardware configuration would be perfect for running OS X.

And sorry, could of sworn that you needed original install disks, oh well.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can get images off the web. Me, personally? I wouldn't trust them. Illegality aside, the images are troublesome to get running. Technically, on the right system, they run fairly smoothly, but the odds of screwing up your PC are high, the odds of it running smoothly are low, and the ability to pop into an Apple Store or store selling Macs and play with the OS there makes that your best bet.

Basically, what you can swipe off the net are disk images, which you burn to make 'original' disks.

It is very easy to make some backdoor hacks to those images. I tried it myself with the Developer Transition Kit images (nothing illegal there - I have a Developer Transition Kit, I have the images legally, and I never distributed them - nor would I). But it's cake to add some stuff to the images which runs in the kernel once you install it. Word to the wise.

8. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I will agre with others, it would be your best bet to attempt to use an Apple machine and not try to run OS X on your P4. Like others have said, apart from it not being legal, you won't get the same Macintosh experience running OS X on your PC. For the most part, the people that have switched have gone and purchased a Macintosh computer and haven't looked back since. If you had the money, get you a new Mac and enjoy!

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Nah, you can create bootable disk images for OS X. Don't ask me how (even though I know). Working in the Apple Store you find out all sorts of neat tricks, and most of the software they use when diagnosing problems are copied CD's anyway.

Of course, I would just buy a mac. Better machine that will outlast your PC 2-3 times in life cycle. My 2002 Powermac G4 is still being used for graphics and what not. The machine is almost 4 years old exactly, and I'm still using it for heavy graphics work.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Maybe they'll bring back the 30 day test drive of the Mac mini...

B

11. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

That lasted all of what, a day?

12. Matt W thread starter macrumors newbie

Matt W

Thanks for the replies. I did try responding on the day but the forum was "busy". I did mean legal ways to trial the OS so not to worry on that one!

I had almost given up being able to try it but I think I have decided to go all the way and get an iBook G4! I've been wanting a laptop for a long time now and was going to get a Dell with Windows XP but I think the G4 might be a more fun option.

Assuming the Apple store keeps them in stock (fingers crossed now because I would love to sit through a couple of these tutorials there before buying it) I should be able to get it at the weekend!

13. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I suggest waiting a bit (ie, about a month at this point) to see what happens around April 1st. Most people think that the new iBooks (or their equivalent in the new lineup) will be released around that time or sooner.

Having a powerful desktop, it might not be a big deal for you... but it's better to pay $1000 and get the latest and greatest as opposed to paying $1000 for a machine that's been needing an update for a long time.

And definitely check out an Apple store and see if you like the OS. Don't be afraid to spend some serious time there. Sit down and poke around the filesystem, et cetera.