Triathalon Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I've been planning on doing a sprint triathalon sometime in the near future and again next year at the local one in town and I was wondering if there are any members here who have done them and what sort of advise they could give me or anyone else who's interested.

I have a nice lake in my backyard, so I've been getting my swimming in a lot lately - put in .75 miles today. Running isn't that big of a deal and I have a nice carbon Trek with Spinergy wheels for racing.

Some questions I do have are on the transition from water to bike and bike to run - do you change your clothes or just ride wet? What about if you wear a half suit for the swim - which I'm considering. Also, what about switching shoes again at the bike/run transition?

I'm probably only going to be doing the short distance races - 1/4 mile swim - 10 to 15 mile bike and 5k run.

Thanks,

D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I haven't done many so not heaps of experience here (they're just way too much effort for my liking), but the ones I did were during the summer so the whole thing was done in "dicky bathers" or Speedos (I swear these things have a different name in every household). We swam first, rode second in Speedos and racing bike shoes, then we ran the last leg (don't have to excuse the pun if you don't want to) in runners.

The whole thing was done topless and effectively bottomless.

Speedos:

[​IMG]

Oh, and as if that guy is straight! :p

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

hmmm, that's not something I see happening with me :D Just the thought of actually going out and buying speedos.....the best name I ever heard was "Banana Hamock"

But I'm not that concerned about speed in the water - and the thought of riding 15 miles in a speedo is not something I'd want to do if I can avoid it. I know that there are a lot of people who wear the half suits , so I know there must be something you need to do in the transition....

D

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I havn't done a triathalon but about 1/3 of the people I run with have ran them and loved it (they meet 2-4 times a week to practice together) . Good luck with training.

Oh and the speedo part... get the half suit... or you can be like some Europeans for a day/ a few hours :rolleyes: (no offensee to the eruopeans)

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, the nice thing about the half suit, aside from having to wear a speedo, is that it gives a little more bouyancy, which means less drag. And also, I'll be able to train in the lakes for a month longer or more depending on the weather. Also if the race day is cold, it can't hurt to have a little extra cover - especially if shrinkage became an issue :D

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

They make "half-pants" that have limited padding in them that make nice swim/bike/run shorts. You keep them on the whole time, and the padding really doesn't take on much water, from what I've heard. Here is an example.

I've done numerous duathlons, but never a triathlon - my wife does those, as do a few friends of ours. Transitions usually involve throwing on socks, shoes, and shirt from swim to bike; then changing shoes from bike to run. I am assuming your Trek requires special shoes.

In any case, the only changing you do is shoes and adding a shirt. You can do more of a change if you want, but keep in mind that you are out in the open. You can practice changing from swim trunks to bike shorts to running shorts under a towel, but it isn't really easy. And if the towel slips... :eek:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Isn't that only relevant if you get aquaplaning? No offence, but that's a little unlikely on your first try. ;)

But yeah, it's gotta be pretty warm on race day, unless you're hung like a donkey...

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not really, because it means that you have less of your body in the water, so less resistance. And even at a 1/4 mile swim it makes a bit of a difference, especially if you're going to run out of the water and jump on a bike. So for hacks like me, it might give me a few seconds advantage - I don't care.

emw - the shorts look perfect - so depending on the weather, i'd be happy with those or even put a half suit on top if its a bit chilly.

D

9. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Wow, you have a lake in your backyard? Must be nice....

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its not bad - a spring fed 29 acre, 50ft deep lake. Nice and clean and we have a dock and a small beach too. My son loves it :D

D

Attached Files:

11. iGary Guest

iGary

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check posture for answer. ;)

But aren't you "currently occupied" iGary. :D

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hey! Lets keep the thread on topic :D

If you want to look at guys in speedos, I'm sure there are many pics available online.....

One thing I am thinking of getting for this winter is a stand for my bike so I can ride it indoors when the weather here in Indiana is less than optimal for being out on the road. Has anyone had any experience with these?

D

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Some comps won't let you wear anything neoprene Mr Anderson so you might want to check the competitions rules. Any extra boyancy help usually = no go on race day. So speedos/budgie smugglers might be the go! If you don't already have one and wear it - get yourself a swimming cap - it will help you immensely.(and goggles go without saying!)

Bike stands rock. Get one and ride like the wind. Even Lance Armstrong uses one to train. They are of course only good for physical conditioning and are not going to benefit your road-riding skills though so you'll still need to get out come spring.

One tip I'll give you is to have your bike shoes already clipped into your pedals - that way you can just jump on your bike and put your feet into your shoes as you ride. It'll save you a good 20 seconds which can mean quite a few places in the overall standings. (this works even better if your shoes just do up with velcro).

Anyway the best thing you can do is watch some on tele or get down there ad watch a comp and take notes. The transitions are the killers so watch those little tricks the guys coming first do and compare them with what the stragglers do. Anyway it's awesome fun!

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

A couple of other thoughts.

First on trainers for your bike - there are a couple different kinds. The first kind has you just put your bike as-is on a series of rollers and essentially pray that you don't fall off. If you get one of these, put it in a doorway so that you can help prevent a nasty fall. The second allows you to take off the front wheel and attach it to a stand, and then uses a pressurized wheel on the back to adjust the tension. I have both, but prefer #2 simply because I don't have a good doorway to put a #1 in right now.

Regarding transitions - practice them. Not so much to get faster at it (although that would be a nice bonus) but to train your body what it feels like to go directly from one type of exercise to another. For example, I've found going from run to bike (in a duathlon) is pretty simple. Going the other way is more difficult, as (for me at least) it feels like you're running about 1/2 the speed you should be. It's like getting off the expressway onto a 25 MPH road. Plus it takes a little while for your muscles to adapt to being used differently so quickly.