tribalfusion killings my browsers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by decksnap, Jan 26, 2005.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Lately, most of the time when I try to load up Macrumors in Safari, it hangs when trying to load the ads...('loading tribalfusion...something or other') It really only happens on THIS site, which is annoying because it's one of my more frequented sites. Initially i could fire up Explorer and it would work fine... but lately Safari, Firefox, and Explorer all hang about 80% of the time trying to load the external ads on Macrumors. Anyone have any ideas?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Install adblock on firefox-> block tribalfusion.
    I'm not sure if MR loses money if we block tribalfuison..
    The last thing I want is to make MR go bankrupt

3. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks- but that is only a stopgap solution... I would like to find and fix the root of the problem.

4. brap macrumors 68000

I often found MR would stop loading when it tried to grab the tribalfusion ads... you probably only notice it here through frequency. I'm sure if you look for another tribalfusion-powered site and spend long enough there, it'll happen too.

Give FF a go, it's certainly more than 'just' a stop-gap.

5. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Yeah- I hear ya. I just know there has to be a REASON for this- if it was happening to a large % of people MR would have done something about it. So I need to figure out what is unique to my system that is causing it.

Firewall?
    ISP?
    Preferences, cache, or funked up files?

I gots no clue.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect the problem's not on your end. I get this all the time, no matter what machine I use - even when I'm on a Windows PC (which is what I'm using to post this message). This makes me think that something's gone wrong with the tribalfusion servers. In Safari, I frequently get zero byte resource errors for the tribalfusion ads (on Netscape, a "Document contains no data" message indicates the exact same problem).

7. Bear macrumors G3

Funny, I just installed adblock and my response time for MacRumors went from anytime now to almost immediatly.

The problem is, is that tribalfusion.com is overloaded. And they have to fix their issues.

Adblock works for both Mozilla & Firefox.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That confirms what I suspected all along - tribalfusion.com itself is the problem, not anyone's computer.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Funny thing, I was just noticing that last night! It was taking literally like 30 seconds to a minute to load each macrumors forums page, and I checked the activity, and boom, it was taking that much time to get a 6k tribalfusion ad. Grrrr.

10. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

I wish I agreed- but when I connect from home (I'm at the office now) everything works fine basically all the time. Here, it just hangs, and hangs, and hangs. If everyone was having this problem, there wouldn't BE Macrumors.

11. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I'm pretty sure that the tribalfusion ads are only the top banner ads and not the google ad pages so we arent completely cutting off macrumors profits.

12. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

do what I did. I just edited my host file that prevents the site from even loading. I just told the comptuer for tribalfusion.com to go to ip address 127.0.0.1 and boom the site returns noughting *considering the ip is for local host only it works great

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/hostsformac.html is a good place for mac users to go for getting something that kills a lot of adds