Tricking out your mac: All the good apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silbeej, Feb 6, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So as a new mac user, one of the biggest reasons i switched was for how universal the mac was, and all the good stuff you could do with it. So if everyone could post their favorite apps for customizing your mac, that would be cool.
    Looking for programs like clear dock, where they make the whole mac experience better.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

many people will probably recommend quicksilver, although I personally don't use it, you might like it quite a bit. For a new UI color, press cmd + option + ctrl + 8. You also might like shapeshifter. You may like candybar too.

3. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I vote for Quicksilver, once I used it for a few days I can't do without. I am lost when I try to use another mac muchless a windows computer. I just sit at the keyboard and stare for a few minutes until the old way comes back.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Run Vista in Parallels in Coherence mode. Freaks PC people out when they see it. Well it does when I run XP, anyhow.

5. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

A third vote for quicksilver. Another app I love is silk

You can change the fonts for the whole system with it.

6. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

If I download and try Quicksilver and don't like it, how easy is it to remove?

7. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

8. reubs macrumors 68000

I use Quiksilver strictly as an app launcher...I haven't found its other qualities yet, but I'm eager to. I'll second candybar. I don't really like shapeshifter, though, even though I got it in the last macheist package.

9. Maynerd macrumors regular

10. gollum macrumors regular

Another vote for Quicksilver, been using it for about a week, very impressed with it.
    As far as appearance programs,Cleardock that you mentioned, plus WindowShade X, iClock.
    Appearance wise, alot of what I've done is replace program pictures in their respective resource folders, meaning lime green strength bars for the Airport menulet, Safari tweaks like a red progress bar, red outline of the tab in use, an apple instead of the little house on the toolbar, and I use Graphite in the System Prefs appearance tab.
    Tinker Tool I use to put up and down arrows at each end of windows.
    Keep an eye for the website "resexcellence" when it re-appears, a great source for tweaking the appearance.

11. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

Remote Buddy is also a very useful and awesome app if you have a apple remote. check it out!!