Trident missiles

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ®îçhå®?, Jul 21, 2006.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I just wanted all of your points of views on whether the trident nuclear system should be upgraded. My own personal point of view is no because:
    We are meant to be two of the most advanced countries in the world so it is not setting a good example
    billions of pounds (i'm british) are being spent when there are better causes

So what do you think and why??

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If our nuclear capability was truly independent - which it isn't, as there is a ludicrous "dual-key" system - there might be an argument (cf. N Korea) for a minimal deterrent force. Since it is merely an expensive and useless adjunct to the US arsenal, it is nonsense to maintain it.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Agree with skunk. Without the ability to use it for our national needs rather than the USAs, why bother paying for it? I am quite for our country maintaining a small nuclear arsenal, but not for having it controlled by The Pentagon.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I believe Trident is independent. Short-range systems were deployed under a dual-key system.

Nuclear missiles are a comparatively cheap way of retaining a threatening posture with global reach, especially as in the case of Trident/Polaris if someone else has done a lot of the hard work already. Axing missiles will greatly reduce Britain's strategic prestige and importance while not having been left with that much more free dosh to spend it on more generally useful conventional weaponry. The bigger issue for a small country like Britain with it's limited resources is if it can shoulder the burden of being even the US's running capitalist lapdog in conventional warfare without taxing UK citizens and residents dry.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article323505.ece

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It is an American-designed system and I believe the UK does not actually own the missiles as such...

...BUT, the missiles do not actually need US keys nor approval to launch. As long as they are operational, the Trident can be launched solely at British discretion in practical terms.