Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalN.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
and well, I have to say I am dissapointed. I went and started to use Aperture, everything was lightning quick, super zippy and everything is jamming along. I went to close Aperture, and I looked at the toolbar, and what I saw amazed me.

Grain. the wheat was on the screen I swear, I went to wipe what I thought was dust off the screen but it wasn't moving. Well that is no good at all. So basically either I am insane, or Apple is cheaping on panels.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Listen to House, he is wise.

Really though, basing an opinion of a product line on one unit doesn't make any sense. How bad was the grain? Did you tell an employee?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
well obviously its the only one I've ever used, and in an Apple store, not a good impression.

You have to think about what those Macs go through...they are basicly public computer, people come in a do what ever they want(up to a point before an Apple work tells them to stop)

Not to mention judging a whole model of computer based on one short use of a computer isn't a good idea...if you had that iMac at your house and it broke down 5 different times, then I can see why'd you be mad..but a fluke on a "public" computer is nothing to get upset about.

Apple's 24'' iMac is ama!zing

DigitalN.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
You have to think about what those Macs go through...they are basicly public computer, people come in a do what ever they want(up to a point before an Apple work tells them to stop)

Not to mention judging a whole model of computer based on one short use of a computer isn't a good idea...if you had that iMac at your house and it broke down 5 different times, then I can see why'd you be mad..but a fluke on a "public" computer is nothing to get upset about.

Apple's 24'' iMac is ama!zing
true, I guess I did over react, but its not everyday you get to use a computer with a screen almost twice as big as yours.

CaptainZap

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
It was probably the anti reflective coating that is put on the screen, yes, it is noticeable at times, but you hardly notice it after awhile.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
if that's the only thing that made you think twice about it, that's nothing. the grainy displays are a problem on such a small percentage of displays that it make no sense to judge all Apples by those few.

give it another go.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Also check to see if the brightness was turned all the way up. It often is under the bright lights of a store. My iMac is fine.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Yeah, those machines are put through hell, try out a different one and see if you get a different picture :p

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
My 24" iMac' display is perfect.

Considering the hell that the store display models go through, it wouldn't surprise me to find a damaged display. Those computers are in an environment, that, unless you have 100 kids who put their filthy hands over anything, you'll never find in a home.

MacWalk

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2006
I saw a 24" iMac yesterday. Its blazing fast and the screen is just.... just like boobs

kixsand

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Toronto
I tried a 24" imac today too...and then I ordered one!

I've been agonizing over this purchase for the past 3 months...Mac Pro, 24" iMac, Mac Pro, 24" iMac...back and forth back and forth.

Today my wife had to go downtown to pick up some clothes from Holt Renfrew...I said that I would only go with her if I could stop in at CPUSED to take another look at the two systems again.

Once we got there my wife essentially badgered me into making a decision and buying a computer right then and there. Her winning argument was that I'm going to want to buy another computer again in 3 years anyway...why would I want a computer that I can upgrade -- seemed reasonable enough to me.

So I did a customer order through cpused...they seemed very nice and I would rather do business through them than the Apple Store.

2.33mhz C2D
2 GB Ram
500 GB HD
7600 GT Video card
Apple Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
Apple Care

I've virtually guaranteed that apple will make some sort of announcement today with regard to the iMac.

Now I have to wait two weeks.

darren

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I bought the 24" imac refurb...and sold it after a month it also had grain and lighting problems :)

You couldn't send it back? Because it was a refurb and didn't have a warranty or what? Doesn't Apple warranty refurbs? The person you sold it to didn't mind the grain, or you didn't tell them about it? After a month (30 days) couldn't you have returned it? Did you notice the grain right away and if so, why didn't you return it right away? You bought something from Apple and 30 days later, not being satisfied with it, you sold it to a 3rd party? Also, they have refurb 24" iMacs only 4 months after being released?

You're very short post leaves a lot of questions. Or with the smiley face on the end of the post mean you're somehow joking? Is it some in-joke that only regular people here who know you would get? I'm an old man and slow on the uptake, so please enlighten me about your short post.

I did go through your posting history to see if you had said anything about this before (not to stalk you, lol, but to find the source of your problems with the 24") and came across this when someone asked about the 24" iMac: "Bought one and sold it withen a week, had un even lighting and was loud....went back to my trusty G4 imac"

So you sold it to a 3rd party after only a week or a month? If it was a week, certainly it was well within the return policy to Apple, correct? I checked and All Apple Certified Refurbished products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. The limited warranty states thus: warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period"). If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option, Apple will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, or (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product.

So again, I'm curious as to the details of your situation as I'm sure it would help others make a decision on the iMac or not. From what I can gather, you bought a refurb 24" iMac within 4 months after they were first announced and released (just last September), used it either a week (7 days) or a month (30ish days) and instead of having any of the problems fixed by Apple through warranty or returning the product for refund, you instead sold it to a 3rd party who accepted the broken hardware as-is?

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
grain? what does that even mean? it's a 1080p crystal clear HD monitor, if u get "grain" its cus the video your watchin is too low res for it:p

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I am now curious what grain is as well. When i got my new 17" C2D iMac, it had smudges on it (right out of the box). I might have complained if I had paid for it, but it was a replacement sent free of charge by apple for my emac and was a huge upgrade. Anyhow, the smudges aren't noticeable when the computer is on. However, there is all over the screen what I would describe as the appearance of "particles" which are most noticeable over white or light colors. I always assumed it was dust from the factory, but I never wanted to try cleaning it since it's my first computer with an LCD and figured I was bound to fudge it up. But when I heard that word "grain" I thought yeah, that sounds like the film on my screen--so what is it?

rfruth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Texas
I saw my 1st 24 inch model a few weeks ago and wow was it nice ! This was in a store, the 17 or 20 inch is more my speed but my G3 iMac keeps going and going also have a linux box so can't justify another computer now ...:eek:

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
I'm not going to ream you about how it's a "display model" in an Apple Store or anything, but I'm gonna just say that I just bought a 24" iMac and I couldn't love it more! It's perfect! I bought a refurb model and the only thing it had was a light scuff on the 'chin' that I didn't see until I was at an extreme (176-178 degrees) angle. I don't know what people are complaining about the brightness being too bright even at low, but it's fine at high, and at low it seems too dim. Go for the 24"er! :cool:

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
I tried a 24" imac today too...and then I ordered one!

I've been agonizing over this purchase for the past 3 months...Mac Pro, 24" iMac, Mac Pro, 24" iMac...back and forth back and forth.

Once we got there my wife essentially badgered me into making a decision and buying a computer right then and there. Her winning argument was that I'm going to want to buy another computer again in 3 years anyway...why would I want a computer that I can upgrade -- seemed reasonable enough to me.

2.33mhz C2D
2 GB Ram
500 GB HD
7600 GT Video card
Apple Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
Apple Care

darren

I was all set to purchase one of these this weekend (the 24 Inch) and now you're making me nervous. Why are these not upgradeable?

kixsand

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Toronto
I was all set to purchase one of these this weekend (the 24 Inch) and now you're making me nervous. Why are these not upgradeable?

The form factor of the iMac...much like a laptop...doesn't really make it too easy to perform upgrades as you would with a conventional PC or with the Mac Pro.

The ram can be upgraded...my mother couldn't do it but I'm sure you could.

I've seen posts on this forum where people have made upgrades to their hard drive...although this isn't for the weak of heart apparently...and it would void your warranty.

It may also be theoretically possible to upgrade the video card at some point.

That is why I custom ordered to get the bigger hard drive, faster processor, more ram and top end video card at the offset. If I had bought the Mac Pro my intention was to upgrade nothing...250 gb hard drive, 1 gb of ram, base video card etc. It would be blazingly fast today and I could add or upgrade components as I went along.

I don't think you have to rule out the iMac because of it but I do think that you need to give the configuration a bit more thought.

BTW...my 24" iMac arrived earlier in the week and I couldn't be happier...crazy fast!

Good luck,

Darren

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.