Tried any other versions of Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by millypede, Apr 5, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

millypede

Has any one tried Win2k or Windows Media Centre yet?

Im curious to see how far we can get with it, as I hate WinXP with vengeance.

2. macrumors 65816

cwedl

Are you talking about windows 2k and media center using boot camp?

If you do get it installed, which I doubt you can because the program will stop you, the drivers will all be for windows XP, so nothing would work.

Ideally you would be able to switch between operating systems like fast user switching, That would be ideal for technial support!

3. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Apple's site states this will only work with XP Home or Pro w/ SP2. Don't let that stop you from trying, but I highly doubt you'll have any success. :cool:

4. thread starter macrumors regular

millypede

Well I will have a go just curious to see if any one else is having a go.

5. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Windows Media Centre isn't all that different from Pro, so it should work.

6. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

"Why can't an upgrade version of Windows XP or a full version of Windows XP that does not include Service Pack 2 (SP2) be used for installation?

You would be required to insert your original Windows CD during installation, however there is no way to eject the first disc until after Windows installation is complete and the drivers from the Macintosh Driver CD created by Boot Camp Assistant Beta are installed. Important: Boot Camp Beta is designed to support only Windows XP Home Edition and Professional with SP2. The required Macintosh-specific drivers provided by Apple are only intended for these releases."

7. macrumors P6

~Shard~

It might, but if you run into driver problems you'll know why. ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

XP/XP pro/Media center all use the same drivers.

9. macrumors newbie

rynep

would windows server 2003 work? based on xp...

10. macrumors 68000

MCE is just XP with some media centre bits thrown on top (with the CD install, if you use just the 1st disk, you get standard XP)

11. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

With the first disk, you get Windows XP Pro.

12. macrumors 68000

I knew it was one of them (having followed the stuff about MCE using onmac.net), but I couldn't remember which

13. macrumors regular

Win2k

Windows 2000 can use 95% of all Windows XP drivers (or more) since they us the WDM (Windows Driver Model). There is a fairly good chance Win2000 would work with BootCamp if XP will. Anyone tried it?

14. thread starter macrumors regular

millypede

Well as I dont have a Intel machine at home, im going to play with it in the morning and see what happens, If I managed to trash a iMac 20", I have another 6 in the showroom:p

15. macrumors member

I have windows XP pro but with out the SP2! I bought it when they first released xp.
    what can I do? do I have to buy a new copy or can I some how boot it and then install sp2.

thanks in advance

16. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

17. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Wrong. Windows XP Media Center Edition uses a different graphics driver, one approved by Microsoft for use specifically with MCE. Otherwise, the drivers are the same. I would assume it has something to do with "enhancements" when using S-Video out on your graphics card that Microsoft claims they made.

ATI used to force you to download MCE-specific drivers, however with the last few Catalyst releases they included the MCE-specific drivers in with the rest. I'm not sure what NVidia does.

If you use the plain XP driver, the Media Center application will prompt you that you are running incompatible drivers or simply freeze.

18. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Was going to respond, but joshuawaire beat me to it. As he indicated, you are wrong. :cool:

19. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Nvidia must include the driver in the same package as they do the regular XP drivers, because I'm using the same one from my last install.

20. macrumors 601

jaw04005

I can confirm that Windows XP with Service Pack 1a installed successfully on my iMac.

Update: However, Service Pack 2 refuses to install (from CD or .exe file) because there is not enough free space, or so it says. Turns out, you must have a required amount of free space on your first partition (which is the partition created by Boot Camp). It looks like I'm going to have to slipstream my SP1a CD.

21. macrumors 601

jaw04005

By the way, the reason you can't install using Windows installation discs that have multiple installs (corporate, 5-1, etc) is because there is no USB keyboard support until the Windows setup is intiated. Therefore, you can't select a menu option on boot.

22. macrumors regular

I think I figured out a way to get an Upgrade CD to work.

Take your upgrade CD, copy it to your hard disk, take a old copy of Windows CD (95,98,ME,2K) and copy it to your hard disk as well. Make a bootable DVD containing the Windows XP data, and in that DVD create a folder called "WINDOWS-OLD" that contains a copy of the old Windows data. This way when the installer starts looking for a previous installation of Windows, it should find it on the DVD, no need to switch discs.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html <-- Good overview on extracting a Windows XP CD, and the Boot Image.

Alternatively, you could have Boot Camp partition the drive, format it somehow, make a folder called "WINDOWS-OLD", copy the old Windows CD over to that, then start the Windows XP install CD.

I don't have the hardware to try this, but the concept seems sound. (I've done it before on normal PC based systems.)

-timb

23. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, I posted something similar in another thread.

I used to have a Custom 98SE install CD on which I had copied the MS Office CABS to so I could install both from one disc. Get rid of all the extras and it fit just fine.

I was thinking that all you should need on the CD is the i386 folder from the XP Upgrade CD and the WIN9x folder from the 9x install CD.

There was also an old trick from the Win 9x days where you needed to create a few empty files on the partition you wanted to "upgrade" to and it would be atisfied that you had a valid version of Windows installed. I was thinking of taking that a step further and actually copying over a WINNT folder from a working system before attempting the install.

However, if 2K will install (without drivers) that should do the trick too.

EDIT: Another good link for info on creating custom XP install discs. http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

B

24. macrumors member

25. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I have the same issue here. I don't have a PC either and I haven't seen instructions on how to slipstream SP2 using a Mac. I have an original (circa 2001) full version of Windows XP Professional on CD and have already downloaded the full XP SP2 update from Microsoft.

I'm going to try burning a DVD using Toast with the copied contents from my XP Pro CD and with the full SP2 update on there in a separate folder as well. I guess I'll just see if that works...