trifling (but still irritating) problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lupinthe3rd, Apr 15, 2004.

1. lupinthe3rd macrumors newbie

Just recently, everytime I start my iMac up (or log back in from my wife's account), my Hard Drive icon has mysteriously moved.

I like to have it in the top right hand corner, yet when I start up it has somehow managed to move itself to the centre of the screen.

I know this is no big deal, and maybe I'm a bit anal, but it's starting to piss me off. Anybody know how to stop it, or what could be causing the problem?

Thanks

2. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It doesn't change it's position when you go to your desktop, go to view and arrange icons by type, name, etc.?
    That does it for me at least.

4. lupinthe3rd thread starter macrumors newbie

That will put it back to its original position I agree, but it still doesn't alter the fact that it keeps moving unfortunately.

5. lupinthe3rd thread starter macrumors newbie

So does nobody know how to solve this? It's REALLY beginning to bother me now!

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

This probably isn't it, but do you have any other files/folders near the top right corner, especially to the left of the hard disk icon? If icons aren't a certain distance apart (about 180 pixels horizontally I think), they are often moved at times such as logging in. Try moving other icons away from that corner and see if that changes anything.

7. lupinthe3rd thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly, that isn't it. It is still moving about of its own accord!

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

Here I got this from another website--see if it helps.

First, you can boot into OS 9, do a search for ".ds_store" (without quotation marks; don't forget the period) and trash them all. Then, boot into OS X and reconfigure your views. The .ds_store files will be recreated.

or

Second, you can use the Terminal to change the ownership of the .ds_store files. ok to do this you need to change the owner of the .ds_Store files to yourself. This can be done from the Terminal with no harm to your system by using the sudo command, which gives you a temporary root command for one command only. Once its done your safe again

1) Open Terminal (Apps > Utilities)

2) You should see something like this:

Welcome to Darwin!
    [localhost:~] username %

3) Type:

sudo find / -name .DS_Store -exec chown username:wheel {} \;

NOTE: Replace username with your computer's username (i.e., the name of your home folder). Make sure there is a space between the {} and the \;

5) Press Return. Youll be asked for your admin password. Enter it. Press return again. It will then go thorugh the entire hard drive and make you the owner of all the .ds_store files and hence views will be saved.