TrimTheFat, awesome application!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xax, May 10, 2006.

1. Xax macrumors member

hey, i just recently found out about a application called trimthefat, http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28882, which trims the unused code in an universal binary, and thus saves disk space and loading times, and it even accelerates the program!

i tried it with the final cut studio 5.1 suite and even with camino, it stripped out a quarter of the whole app file

try it and report your findings!

ps: why dont they just release apps with either intel or ppc code? the load times are lightning!

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Are you running a PPC or Intel based Mac?

Interested to know how much faster you think FC-Studio 5.1 was without the 'fat'. Also did you do it for all the apps, or just Final Cut Pro?

3. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Because then they would have to deal with customers who bought the wrong version.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

... also production and packaging costs would basically double I guess.

5. Xax thread starter macrumors member

i run a 2.0ghz macbook pro with 1gb of ram

i did not do tests with a stopwatch but it appeared to load a lot faster and i did it on camino, adium, and the fcs suite.

ill run it through all of my universal applications.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Didn't someone come out with a similar application for the 68K to PPC switch? It's a good idea as long as it's done right - no sense having a lot of extra code that you don't need hanging around.

I could see where potentially it might improve load times, but I don't know why it would impact performance in general except perhaps to free up some memory.

7. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

They could release both versions on the same dvd and in the same package. The installer would then decide which version to install.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, although it only worked one way. It only stripped PowerPC code on a 68k machine... because obviously a lot of 68k code still had to run on PowerPC machines.