Trip To Australia: Take iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 20rogersc, Feb 13, 2006.

1. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Going on holiday in about a month, and contemplating on whether to take my iBook or not. It's for three weeks, however one of those weeks we'll be camping, so no access to electricity. Is it worth it?

Should I take my iBook?
    How is taking a laptop on a plane? Get Damaged?
    Anyone used the Apple Travel Pack Adapter things?

Anything else I should be weary of?
    I would like any replies that will help me make my decision, whether they are positive or negative.
    Thanks.

::20ROGERSC::

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Well in the end it is up to you.

For me yes i would bring it, and it would be in my carryon and would not let it leave my site.

However being away from electricity for a week makes it sorta pointless to bring with you. Especially camping, just too many variables that something could go wrong.

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

There's no reason not to take it, provided you're actually going to use it. I take rather frequent trips to England (from Canada), and I always bring my trusty 12" PowerBook with me. It's never been damaged, never lost any data, and never been an issue. And it makes life a lot easier in terms of carrying data.

The World Travel Adapter Kit works great, except that you only get the duckbill, rather than the full extension cord. This only means that you're on a bit of a short leash. Otherwise, it's a flawless solution.

The only real issue is how secure you feel with having your iBook on you, by comparison to leaving it unattended at home.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think it depends on what you will be doing. It's probably not worth the hassle if you're going to be camping and doing other stuff like that. If you need to get online to send emails etc, then there are internet cafes in most cities. Where will you be traveling?

PS If you have any other questions, then feel free to ask. There's a few of us Aussies floating around that would be more than happy to give you any info you need. ;)

5. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Just because of the camping part, I would not bring it, As mentioned above, too many things could go wrong. Unless you have a secure, safe place to keep it during the camping, I would just leave it home. Remember - 50% battery charge if you are going to leave it for that long.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah. The Aussies calling it an Oibook. :p

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Do you think you're going to use it? If not, don't take it.

I take my Powerbook when I go out to the US on holiday. I find it useful to be able to check my emails (non-work) and keep in touch with family and friends while away - sending them my photos is so much more fun that postcards!

I also find it useful to be able to transfer images from my camera over to my HD and, on flights or evenings, be able to do some work on them. Means I don't need to carry so many memory cards around.

There's little point in buying the adaptor kit if that's the only plug you're going to use. It's just as easy to plug your UK adaptor into a normal travel adaptor.

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That and the kangaroos hoping around in the cities, crocodiles in every river, shark infested waters, snakes in the bush and redback spiders on the dunnies. :p

9. jonparadise macrumors member

As other posts have metioned, that week camping is a very big factor.

I travelled alot to Oz from the UK with my iBook a couple of years ago, flew three or four times a year and had no trouble (always hand luggage of course).

In the cities you can get all the Wifi access you want, and the main hotels have it in too.

• Do a back up before you leave.
    • Make sure you have all the adaptors, and an ethernet cable.

10. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Wherever i go, my Powerbook goes with me and my Vodafone 3G Data Card so I'm always connected to the internet. :)

11. 20rogersc thread starter macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Thanks for the advice so far.

That was the main reason why I thought of taking it.

When I go camping, I can leave it at my Uncles house (the main reason why we're going to Australia), however he was burgled about 6 months ago, which makes me a bit worried on leaving it there.

By the way, I'm going to Canberra (where some of my family lives) and Sydney.
    Any places to recommend?

12. jonparadise macrumors member

Canberra is nice, if a little quiet, there isn't that much to do apart from go for a few walks and visit the government buildings. When you fly in, you'll be amazed at the sudden splodge of life in the middle of no-where.

Sydney is great, so much to do. Go up the Centrepoint Tower first, that'll really help your get your bearings and give you some amazing shots on your camera.

If you can, do the Bridge Climb, also stunning. It may be worth booking that one in advance though.

The rest depends on the sort of things you like doing. Obviously there is all the stunning scenery, and a Harbour Cruise is worth it too.

With the Pound/Dollar benifit, cram it all in!

Oh, and have a Cherry Ripe, I got addicted to the buggers.

13. 20rogersc thread starter macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Yep, booked that one already :cool:

14. jonparadise macrumors member

Great! Don't whatever you do, listen to the guides when they 'recommend' a quaint little pub down the street to have gourmet pizza in, it's horrible. I had crocodile pizza. Very, very chewy!

So many new beers to try though. :p

15. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

When I went to Italy (and England) 2 summers ago, I brought my laptop with me. I was there for 2 months, and the only reason I brought it with me was to save digital camera pictures on it (although my usb fan did come in handy when all the cheap hotels didn't have AC or fans). :) I had no intention of using it for email or watching movies or anything. Now that I have the new iPod, I won't be bringing my laptop with me on my next trip- thank you, camera memory card adapter!

Seriously though, I would not bring it camping. There were so many cheap campsites I wanted to stay at when I was in Europe that I didn't, because I didn't want anything to happen to my laptop.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This echos a lot of what I was thinking of saying - you have the 4gb nano, and I don't think you will be taking enough pictures to fill it. Dump the music (at least some of it), and use the aforementioned adapter.

But, I have a couple of questions - what would you accomplish with yourt computer in Australia that couldn't wait until your return? Also, why not take a regular book instead? I mean those questions with respect, and here's why I ask. If you have something that MUST be acomplished, by all means take it. Since this will be something new for you, you wil have a lot more fun interacting with other people. I found that three months in Europe were a lot of fun just just enjoying the experience. I didn't miss my computer at all, I had an auto-reply set and only bothered to check my email occasionally. Everybody is different, but I was satiated with one book, only reading when I was tired.

The camera issue, I don't think will be a problem, but that is just me...

Sorry about the rambling, I'm meaning to do some work while I read the forums, so I'm a bit distracted.

17. 20rogersc thread starter macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Is this what you're talking about?
    It says that it is "Not compatible with iPod nano."
    And my camera is not on the list either.

18. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Yes.
    If you are going alone, try and get a window seat, that way people won't be passing glasses of chardonnay over your laptop... Spill risk...
    I ride my kangaroo to school every day.

19. iShane macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't take it. I know someone who tried to take his 17" PowerBook to Cuba. At the security check-out they took it away from him and he never got it back.

20. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I think it's safe to say that Australia is a bit different than Cuba.

You'll have to take the iBook out of any case for security, so make sure that it's shut down (you can start it up at the gate while near a socket) and that you have easy access to it. Get a nice, padded yet sturdy case for it, and make sure that you don't forget anything.

That said, enjoy the trip.

EDIT Maybe import some DVDs or get some TV Shows for the plane ride?

21. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Best advice i have seen in this thread:D

There is lots to do in Sydney, bridge climb is awesome but it'll mostly be tourists, i did it and was the only australian in a group of about twenty. If you can visit the museum in Sydney its an awesome place. Canberra on the other hand is quite boring, a tour of the embassies however is interesting with all the differant architecture on display

Edit: oh and bring the ibook it weighs next to nothing and Australia is a very safe country, and you can sort all your pics out

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Um...yeah...:eek: I believe that that part of my advice in this thread should be promptly ignored by all those who read it...Sorry about that. But you have to admit it was a good idea while it lasted...There are a variety of options (an extra memory card, reduced resolution images for the ones that you know will never be printed/4x6 only, etc) for the pics, but I think I'll leave that to someone who can offer something better.

I still stand by my thought that taking the computer leads to too easy a distraction from everything around you. I found that when I have nothing else to do or think about, I enjoy my trip more.

23. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Just upload your pics onto your iBook. If you have .mac, and iLife '06, you can post pix online....while you're there!

24. 20rogersc thread starter macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Still not sure to take it or not.
    Now I can't upload photos to the iPod (don't worry nbs2, I thought it was a great idea when I read it as well!).
    I can either get more memory cards (only got a 128mb, but could 'borrow' my brothers 512 from his phone :rolleyes: ) or take my iBook, put photos onto iPhoto, browse the web, check emails, but possibly worry about it the whole time while I'm there and not with it??

I am travelling with my mum, dad and brother, so I do have them as company if I don't take it ;)

I welcome any more comments (whether on iBook or places to go), as I am totally undecided, so any advice is good advice at the moment.

25. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

If you can leave your iBook at your uncle's while you're camping then I think it won't hurt to take it. A friend was here from Germany recently and she brought her iBook along just for emails and photos.

As for other places to go, the Sydney Aquarium is pretty cool (though I think the Melbourne one is better :p ), there is a nice cruise you can do down the Parramatta river which takes you under the bridge and into Sydney Harbour/Circular Quay. In Canberra, find a suburb called Manuka - it is full of nice cafes and restaurants. Other than that, it's pretty much government buildings, which sounds kind of boring, but I really like going to Parliament House :eek: . There's also the War Memorial, Telstra Tower and Questacon science museum (though you're probably a bit old for that). Actually that reminds me, the Powerhouse museum in Sydney is really interesting.