Trip to London (Calling all Londoners)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Me and a few friends are thinking about a trip to London during spring break next year. We're not exactly rich, so we're looking for ways to go there and stay there on the cheap. Any tips from veteran Londoners on the boards? We're thinking we'll stay in London and make trips to Ireland (that's Republic of Ireland to you) and France. Should we stay in London, or should we stay in London for 2-3 days, stay in Ireland for 2-3 days and stay in Paris for 2-3 days? And how easy is it to get from London to Dublin?

Thanks, and if you have any more tips/information, please give it up :)

2. Foggy macrumors 6502a

You're better off staying in each of the areas for a couple of days. Getting to Dublin is easy enough from heathrow - can get some really cheap plane tickets if you book ahead. Hotels can be cheap too - just search around on the internet, I have a friend who comes across from Chicago a lot and he always finds cheap fairly centrally located hotels. They arent amazing, lavish rooms but seeing as he only uses them to sleep in he doesnt really care (and most of the time he goes back drunk so doesnt really take much notice!)

Dublin is actually quite pricey these days but once again, do a bit of research and book into a youth hostel and you can stay pretty cheaply.

No idea about Paris, only ever been there on day trips and passing through to other places.

Hope you have a good holiday!

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hmmm...although it is possible to stay in London but just vistin Paris for a day (my uncle and auntie go to Paris for the day quite often), if you really want to explore the place it's best to actually stay there. Same goes for Ireland. Can't see any advantage in staying in London for the whole time.

Anyway, cheap places to stay. Hmmm...I dont know of anywhere specific. But I could direct you to a couple of websites.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Quite pricey!?!

That's a bloody understatement!!!
    I think it's almost as expensive as Paris!

5. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Aye - unfortunately it is a really 'in' place to go at the moment. Cheap airfares dont help either. Personally I would avoid going on a weekend as the whole place just seems to be one mass hen/stag do.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm thankful I have friends to stay with. I was there last week. After previous trips I've learned not to drink, 22Euros for 3 drinks!!.
    I've not been there on a weekend though, thankfully!!

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can Eurostar (train) it to Paris for a day (or even stay overnight). This is quite pricey, but it normally works out faster than flying once you take into account getting to Heathrow 2 hours before your flight! I think they run special deals every so often so it's worth keeping an eye on.

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

If you go to Ireland, you are better off going for a few days and staying there. You can get a train to crewe, then to anglesey (dont know how to spell it) and get a ferry across. In London, the best thing that you can do is go on one of the opentop buses for a tour. I would suggest spending a few days at each place because the journeys are fairly long by train and more expensive by plane

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Stay in youth hostels as they're cheap and cheerful, and it'll mean you'll have more money to spend (you are going to Dublin & Paris, after all.)

Also, pack a sleeping bag and tent. You never know! :D

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Stay north of the southbank and watch out for chavs.

11. Lau Guest

I would look seriously into flying to Dublin — train fares here are expensive and it was £60 last time I got the ferry over from Holyhead, which was a bit pricey. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for the ferry trip (as getting the train through England and Wales and then the ferry over is quite nice), but it will take a good few hours (which if you've only got two days is a bit of a shame) and there's so many cheap flights around it's well worth looking into (check out www.ryanair.com when you get here for a cheap online ticket) just to compare the two and see which is a better deal (although factor in the cost of getting to the airport). Dublin youth hostel association hostel is really good, (I had the best time ever when I stayed there in 1999, anyway) and it was only about €10 a night.