Trip to Ontario.. any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Community' started by cyanide, Feb 24, 2005.

1. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

my girlfriend and i are going to take holiday in ontario in the next couple weeks. we live here in the chicago area and are planning to go to southwestern ontario, toronto, and the niagra area. do any of you have any great things that we should see while in ontario? its our first trip up north so any suggestions are welcome. we just dont want to do the same old "cancun, miami, daytona" typical spring break thing. we like hiking and music a lot, as well as night life (who doesnt?!) if that helps.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't suppose Canada's Wonderland is running at this time of year...

Niagara Falls, of course... best seen from the Canadian side... The city itself is very tourist-trap like, almost like a miniature Las Vegas.

I don't know actually. I live in this area of Ontario and I can't really think of all that many things to do this time of year. I'll be watching for the other responses you get...

3. cyanide thread starter macrumors regular

cyanide

thanks jay, any less tourist like areas in the southwest? i hate tourist traps.. they are like blemishes on the face of the earth.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

5. dPratt macrumors member

If you have time to get a little further away from the Toronto, I'd suggest the Lake Huron coast if you're in the mood for the outdoors. Here's a good website. There are several really great parks around Port Elgin and Southampton, which is about 2.5 hours from Toronto. The attached image shows a recent sunset in the area. It's really a beautiful area, and there won't be many tourists this time of year:)

Attached Files:

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

If your driving over from Chicago, you may want to stop at Point Pelee National Park, nice boardwalk for a day trip, but it may be cold this time of year.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I lived in Toronto for many a year before heading west. Unfortunately it is not the greatest time of year to visit southern Ontario. If you have a nice clear, crisp day then head up the CN Tower and check out the view - excellent on a clear day. The Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery are both worth checking out (provided that sort of thing is interesting to you). If you are into skiing there are a few nice places just north of the city up towards Lake Huron. And as others have already said - Niagara Falls is really nice almost anytime of year, and in fact I think it is even nicer to see during a really cold spell, with all the ice around....oh yeah!