Triple sunset system

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jul 13, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link
    If I remember right, dantuween (sp) only had 2, so how well does a solar panel work there?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But the binary pair of suns is orbiting the main star at a distance from about our Sun to Saturn. So the night sky won't be like Dantooine - you'll have a regular sunrise every day, but then the binary pair will be visible irregularly. And it wouldn't surprise me if the binary pair have some moons as well, especially with the mass of 1.63 suns. That is one messed up solar system....

D

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Now I have heard of planets orbiting 2 stars, but three stars is just whack.
    That could help to explain it, but still...

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

So you're saying that there could be planets orbiting the binaries, that are orbiting the primary. Or is the primary orbiting the binaries?

If both the primary and the binaries have orbiting planets, then couldn't those planets conceivably either collide, or shift orbit points (i.e., have something of a Figure-8 orbit)?

Wacky.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Who knows, but like I said, its one messed up system. I'm sure if its old enough to have planets that it will settle itself out eventually. But I'd love to see more of it and know what's happening.

I don't think any simulation would be able to be run on a system like that, especially if it has dozens of planets and moons....

Cool stuff, though.

D

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Very interesting ...

We need interstellar spaceships!!

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

At a 163 light years away, I don't see us getting there any time in the near future, or if we don't ever figure out a way around the lightspeed issue, anytime in the far future....

The best we can hope for is better telescopes using interferometery and we'd be able to *see* the system from here.

D

8. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Interstellar Telescopes!!

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Three suns - sounds pretty cool. Could you imagine the sunset (would there be one w/ 3 suns?).
    It would surely beat the one on Tatooine! ;)

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, but on this planet, the sun would set, potentially, on opposite sides of the sky. Or, conversely, it would always be lit by either the primary or the binary suns - so would always be light.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Daytime all the time...that would suck. Well, at least then there would be no nightshift. ;)

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Read Nightfall by Isaac Asimov.

Three stable stars I figured it was like Alpha, Beta and Proxima Centauri. I binary with an outlying third.

Who knows if the planet is habitable. There are a number of other things that influence it. Maybe in a few thousand years we can see.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Any planets with 3 suns are going to be infested with nasties!
    Have you not seen Pitch Black?

14. luke_s macrumors member

luke_s

you mean the "pitch black"? the scientific show on astronomy tv?

15. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

It's interesting because I learned the snow line term as frost line in astronomy last year.

Go figure.

Another thing is that this planet is a gas giant, so I don't think you would be able to see the sunset from the planet. Of course I'm sure the planet would have some moons (though who is to say that? there are enough things that aren't "right" about this solar system as it is).

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Guess that I will just have to keep my residence here on good ol' Earth. :rolleyes:

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Dantuween? You mean Tatooine? I think you mean Tatooine.
    There isnt even a picture of Dantuween, there is just a mention of
    it while Leia is on the death star with the "remains of a rebel base".

18. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

So I lost some of my geek status. :p

19. rockdog macrumors member

rockdog

This just goes to show that the universe is a wild place, filled with things that we can not even imagine here on earth.
    I do a little backyard astronomy with my little 6" dobson and I am always filled with awe when I see something new to me out in the cosmos. I just wish that as a world community, we were alittle farther on the arc of space exploration. But that isn't going to happen until we get our act together on the planet we already inhabit.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, we could stand to get our act together a little bit better than we are currently doing (especially before going to new planets and visiting & colonizing them).

21. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

No, he means "Pitch Black", the movie with Vin Diesel.

22. Bedawyn macrumors regular

NASA animation of the sunset is here.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's not the same one - the one in the article is talking about a main star and a binary orbiting at a distance similar to Saturn.

If you were on a moon of the gas giant, the main sun would overpower the other two - which would just be very, very bright stars. Remember what the sun looks like from Saturn in those pics from Voyager and Cassini?

And if you were at an Earth distance, the binary stars would be brighter, but still not the same as the sun. You might get enough light to see by at night from the binary pair, but I can't imagine it would be more than the light of our own full moon.

[edit] There seems to be some confusion - the CNN article mentions that the planet is at a distance of Saturn and the binary pair is orbiting the primary. I don't know who's right.... [/edit]

D