tripple boot

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by deshtruction, Aug 15, 2004.

1. deshtruction macrumors newbie

could i make 4 partitions ,one for 10.3,10.4 and 10.3 server??
    i am going to be doing this a school project and want to know if it is possible or work around it some how.

peace

2. johnkrz macrumors member

yes

you can as long as they are big enough youll be fine. at least i think you can.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....the only thing that would prevent you from doing that is if your hardware was of the older era and required X to be in the first 8GB of the drive. School project? You're a student and have enough money to buy 10.3, 10.3 server and join ADC to get the 10.4 developer release? I'd have liked to have that much $$ back when I was in school.....oh yeah!

4. deshtruction thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i am a student not a collage student a HS student!!!!!
    i didnt join ADC to get 10.4 (thank you bittorrent)
    10.3 came with my ibook
    10.3 server is my friends father who is a SYS ADMIN
    i am just lucky but you are lucky for all the DUFF you get!!! :D

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://www.legal-database.com/software-piracy.htm

Software piracy is the unauthorized duplication of computer software. Although most computer users today are aware that unauthorized use and duplication of software is illegal, many show a general disregard for the importance of treating software as valuable intellectual property. Copying software is an act of copyright infringement, and is subject to civil and criminal penalties. It's illegal whether you use pirated software yourself, give it away, or sell it. All software is copyright-protected, and the copyright is enforceable for 95 years. Copyright infringers are liable for any damages suffered by copyright owners plus profits attributed to the infringement, up to $150,000 per title infringed, or up to $250,000 and five years in jail.

http://www.siia.net/piracy/report/internet_form.asp

The following form is to report a case of Internet software piracy. SIIA investigators may need to contact you for additional information and, therefore, will request contact information about you. An asterisk (*) denotes required fields. This form cannot be submitted without all required information. If you would prefer to report a case over the phone, please call our Anti-Piracy Hotline at (800) 388-7478 or send e-mail to netpiracy@siia.net.

All sources are kept strictly confidential. Your name will not be released.

http://www.bsa.org/usa/report/Reporting-Form.cfm

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I suspected as much. If your friend's father worked for me I would fire him immediately. part of any sysadmin's job (at least where I work) is tracking and keeping in compliance with license agreements. As for you, I hope you soon get over your pirating days and learn to follow the rules a bit....oh yeah!

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

And don't expect any help, if it's got to do with illegal things.

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yea, you guys came down pretty hard on this one.....

but I guess hey, it's illegal. I guess you have a right.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

All right, aside from the legal issues:

Sounds like 3 partitions, not 4.

To make the extra partitions, back up all your data, boot from the Panther CD, partition your Hard Drive (you will lose all your data), then install Panther onto one partition, Panther Server on another, and then the other OS on another. Make sure your partition sizes are what you desire. Because if later on into your machine usage you need an extra GB or so in a partition, you'll have to do everything in this paragraph all over again.

10. macsrus macrumors 6502

If the kid is using the software for educational purposes... i.e. Learning OS X server... then why should Apple care...(The end result would be more sales for them)..... I realize it is illegal but so what..

I say no harm no foul....
    Now if he is using it to run a company then Pay up or stop using it....

Just my 2 cents worth...
    You can disagree if you wish... but it wont change my mind on it

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....apple may not care too much about the kid using the software...but I'd bet they'd be *very* concerned about a business that has purchased OS X Server letting the software go out the door like that - they are the ones that Apple would come down hard on, and deservedly so....oh yeah!

12. macsrus macrumors 6502

While you may be right... I have to say that i prefer Oracles approach to software...
    For a few dollars you can get a set of all their cd's...
    And use it for free all you want... if its for your own personal training or development...
    The cost comes in if you use it for comercial gain

13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

If all software were like that, piracy wouldn't exist.

Let's look at photoshop for a minute.

Most of the people that I know that have pirated copies of Photoshop just wanted it to have fun with personal pictures. The most commerical they get is putting the photoshopped image on their personal website.

Usually, if you are in business, you are making money. Thus you can in the end afford to buy said software, even if you have to get it first on credit.

In other words, those who pirate the software, are usually poor students/kids just wanting to use it for fun/personal not commerical.

Me though, I am too paranoid about legal action taken against me, thus just about everything I have I own.

Mike