Trojan Horse for OS X? Man, I hope not!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by MacVault, Apr 8, 2004.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

I found this on MacNN.com. Is this for real? :confused:

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I hope its not true, but if it is then I hope Apple can fix this problem quickly, then at least we can still say that Mac OS X is kept secure

3. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, here it is... the first trojan for OS X in, who knows how long... (ever?)

i'm sure a lot of Mac bashers will have a party with this news. i'm now curious how long before apple will patch it.

at least, if you are halfway competent, this trojan will not affect system files. i would think twice before an mp3 file asked for admin password.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I opened it. It doesn't do anything. It's someone just proving that a virus can be made for OSX, not an actual virus itself.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Boo hoo. I'll believe this when I'm infected.

Apparently you'd have to do something silly and open an attachment or download from p2p--things you should be careful about anyway. If they want to punish careless users I'm not going to get in the way. I'm doubtful about this anyway. How exactly are id3 tags executing programs? Has anybody actually gotten this virus? I think somebody has just demonstrated that you can write an OS X virus, not that it's actually out there gunning for you.

Besides, who anounced the virus? An antivirus maker. Who benefits from the existance of a virus? Antivirus makers.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

i could have predicted this

i ordered my PB yesterday. i switched to mac b/c it is more secure. just for my happiness, somebody tell me this rarely happens. also, i know where to go for windows updates and patches. where do i go for osx patches/updates?

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

It very rarely happens.

For updates, go to System Preferences and Software Update.

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

dude...it wont be like windows...now who gives his password fr playin mp3!!!...noone...so it cant do anything..
    cheers

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It rarely happens. This is only the 2nd report of this nature in the 3+ years of OS X's existance. You never see this stuff out in the real world. Don't worry.

For updates, etc you use Software Update. It's under the apple menu and also in System Preferences.

11. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Viruses, Trojans and Worms can only succeed with the help of the "network effect", i.e, the more people begin using the same system the more likely it is that others will join it and so on ad infinitium.

Thats why they succeed so well on PC, and why, sadly (in a way), they have little effect on Macs. PCs are everywhere, any random email/download is 95% likely to hit a PC but about 5% likely to hit a mac.

So they never get to critical mass and tend to die.

There were a couple of worms around for Mac back in OS7-9 days, people in the Prepress industry got them and managed to spread them a little because they exchanged files so much, unlike your average user back then.

I got one, back in '97, had to run some anti-virus tool to kill it.

Nothing since OSX though, still there are no reasons why it can't happen at any time, its just that the low level of marketshare means that OSX is not a very infectious host.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

AHHHFHGHGHGHGHGHGFHH!!!!!!

Oh my GOD, the world is coming to an end!!!!!! I don't wanna die a virgin!!!!