trolls have infested political forum again

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...and regular posters are becoming troll like in respose

time to wasteland political discussions...rower_cpu agrees and durandal7 agrees

backtothemac won't go there anymore and he has a degree in political science/history

since i am not a mod, the best i could do is not go to the political forums...but i simply won't come back to macrumors anywhere because the trolls will infest this whole site

alphatech left because of them...and i am gone, too

...unless something changes

later days

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Please don't leave jefhatfield, because you are a valuable member. Just don't enter the political forums anymore. Can't remember the last time that I visited. This forum is such much more. Have you contacted arn with your concerns?

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

agreed.

i wish it didnt even show up as an option when i click 'view new posts'. it should just filter out that damn forum. way too many people who arent necessarily 'trolls' but are so far into what they believe that its impossible for them not to piss off everyone else.

i just avoid that forum like the plague.

4. iGav macrumors G3

I never bother with the political threads... too much passion (probably nicest way of putting it) :rolleyes:

It'd be a shame if you leave because of it, stick to the 'bubble-gum'ness' of the community discussion like my goodself... much more fun!! ;)

Take it easy jef! :)

G

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    jef,

i think the poli threads are certainly more passionate than they've been in a while.

but isn't the poli thread just like a tv show you don't care for? if you don't enjoy it...don't go there. i truly don't mean that in a smarty pants way.

my reasoning is that it makes more sense to have an area where things may get out of hand( to a degree) than to let that stuff spill into the other threads that aren't specifically politically related.

also, i don't agree with your assesment that unless the poli threads are deleted-trolls will infest the whole site. actually, it seems the people who post the most in the poli threads don't post that much elsewhere...so if there are other trolls out there they are most likely unrelated to the poli threads.

also, as i understand it...alpha left because he didn't agree with the profanity rules of the forum.

and i believe i saw b2tm post there yesterday...and b2 was certainly one of the more passionate posters in the poli threads so i don't think i'd use him to substantiate your arguement.

just my 2cents.

respectfully,
    3rd

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Have you reported any of these trolls? That's what the mods are here for - let them know!

D

7. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Just dont go to the forum. I used to enjoy posting there but it just got so boring going round in circles. Some try to be balanced and concede points, but some of the heavyweights are intransigent and I found their views to be quite scary. Much better to dip into other forums and enjoy the less life and death stuff.

So, who´s out mowing the lawn in your neighbourhood at the moment?

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It's been said many times here...if it's not reported, then u are telling us things are fine.

I've never been a fan of the political threads...ever. I feel they had a purpose during the war, but now their purpose on a Mac site is null...IMO.

Seriously jef, if there's a problem, u need to report it man. ;)

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Politics are my passion. It is the grounding of both my career and education. I would be happy to engage in that topic with this group of people, who seem - on the whole - educacted and witty. Nonetheless, I avoid the political discussions like the plague.

There is too much bile and heavy words thrown about in there. Granted, I am a member of a minority political viewpoint here, but there is nothing I enjoy more than a lively political discussion/debate. However, these threads are just too monolithic and axiomatic to have any sort of discussion. I'm confident in my ability to hold my own against (and even convert a few) those who disagree with me. I refuse to throw insults, make disingenuous arguments or engage in sloganeering. In return, I usually expect the same from the opposition. Therefore I do not feel comforatble in that forum.

It's just a room where everyone is trying to shout above everyone else. No discussion, no thought, no open-mindedness.

Shut it down.

10. pEZ macrumors 6502

Totally agree with Foxer on this one. I like the occasional political banter, but only when I can talk to someone one-on-one and both s/he and I are willing to be open to opinions.

That forum is a deathtrap. Never once gone in there, even when I started coming to MacRumors regularly late last year, and definitely not since I've become an active poster.

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Yes, the political threads are filled with people who will try at every chance to prove somebody else wrong, and push their views onto them. It seems as if people are just talking, and nobody is listening, unless they find something someone said that they can attack. It's not really a discussion anymore. Just an ongoing argument with no point other than to prove the other side wrong. I really believe there is no real thought, or consideration of politics going on there...

As long as the political posts stay where they're supposed to be, I'm find with them, but if they go beyond their boundaries, I think the mods should delete them immediately, and send a warning to the person. People who constantly post political things outside of the political forums area should be banned. We don't need people talking about politics in the latest G5 discussion, or in the favorite sandwich thread. They may have freedom of speech elsewhere, but if they abuse their privileges[/u] here, they should have them revoked, and they should be banned.

My 2¢ USD...

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

but just avoiding them, when they get troll like, is not enough...

having been here as long as i have, i see how trolls start in one section then infect the whole site and all sections

i have already told arn and mr anderson about my concerns...and it's not just actual visiting trolls that make it bad, but the troll like comments it makes regular macrumors users make in defense

it becomes a forum of threats and insults and basically wrecks macrumors

like many have said already, it's about time to can the political forums...heck, just look at some comments here and elsewhere calling for the shutdown of the political forums

shut it down

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

people... why are you calling for the political forum to be shut down? If you don't like it, there's an easy answer... don't go there. Why would you try to ruin it for the people who do enjoy posting there? If an individual post or poster is a problem, the mods can deal with that.

This is ridiculous. The politcal forums are the reason I joined MR in the first place, and even though I don't go there anymore, there's a reason that they exist. It's because those sorts of politcal concerns are very real to people, and they are going to show up in other threads unless people have a specific place to express themselves.

Jefhatfield, sorry, but I just don't see this "infection" of the rest of the site from the political forums. Far from that, the political forum gives people a place to keep the bickering so that it *doesn't* creep in to other threads.

14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

from your perspective, that may be the case

but you are a relatively new member

i have been here since the beginning and have seen numerous infections and troll invasions

it's not pretty...alphatech quit becaue of it and he was our #3 poster at the time

stick around long enough and you will see...the porthole are the political threads, and before they existed it was the general discussions threads and the politicos would come in an wreak havoc on our entire site

politics is a heated subject and appropriate for politics or something like escrew.com or rotten.com, but not for a technical mac centered website

15. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i agree with the sentiment of shutting down the politics forum jef. i think that it doesn't promote what the website is about, and if people want to debate politics they can go somewhere else.

at the same time, don't go glorifying someone elses departure as being decided upon due to these trolls. i for one do not miss said member, and i think he was just as bad of a flamer as we have seen. i was tired of everyone being flamed for dissenting opinions by him, and i was glad to see him go. dont glorify his departure as something that was caused by anything other than his own actions.

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i know he was rough around the edges at times, but these trolls who are here now are not mac users...they have come here to start trouble for the sake of infecting our site

i will mention it til the cows come home...i have been here three years...longer than anyone else...and the trolls start in one section and work thru the site...they are spoilers...maybe alphatech was not nice sometimes but many friendlier mac users were chased off by the badmouthing of trolls...to the troll's delight

notice i am the only user from 2000 that posts here? there were once over a thousand of us here...the trolls, coming in at times infesting our site, has chased many of them off

trolls suck and the political forums should be shut down

SHUT DOWN POLITICAL FORUMS

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I can't get my email today from home here at work- but PM me with yours so we can talk....

D :D

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

concerns are

1) trolls infecting political forums

2) regular users becoming troll like in response

3) troll behavior infecting whole site...which in three years here i have seen happen...when political section becomes slow from time to time, the trolls move through our site an bugs us there

i am simply asking for mods to shut down political discussions...again...but for good

when i came on in the beginning, it was about macs, not trolls...we are a technical site, not a hate site

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The only post I feel I responded to in an ill-tempered (flaming) manner was tazo's, when he physically threatened me. :mad:

He did the same thing to zimv20 in the Current Events section too. Should we shut down CE also? Or should such behaviour be dealt with properly?

Other than that, the only thing I see are an influx of non-Mac using libertarians, which from what you've said, jef, you've invited in. :rolleyes:

Speaking of the pol/war discussions infecting other sections, isn't that exactly what you've done with this thread?

20. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I don't go to the political forums anymore, it's just people bashing and flaming each other... but if it would get closed, those people would spill over to other forums (current events, community discussion)..!

vSpacken

21. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i gave up on the polforuma while back...it got really annoying,. my question is tho, if rower acknolwegdes the problem isn't he a mod? Can't he do something if he vists there alot? I'm not sure its right to shut down the forum because polticial threads will jsut popup in comm discussion and the trolls will debbate in current events .....I don't think closing it wil fix anything but perhaps banning a few of the mreo flagrant people would be good

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh boo hoo. Geez, just don't go in there. I've never even stepped foot in the Politics forum, and it hasn't bothered me at all. I didn't even know there was a problem until you mentioned it. Stop whining about it. Don't go in there. Its simple.

23. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    jef,

with all due respect, i must disagree.

there have always been trolls on this site...they come and go. to say that the political forums are responsible for inflicting some type of virus on the rest of the site is far-fetched.

i will gladly accept a correction from the mods if they feel the poli threads have contributed more trolls and spam to the other areas than they would normally have experienced sans a dedicated poli area.

if anything, it seems to me it is easier to police this site since everyone knows where the " high crime" area is. once again mods, correct me if i'm wrong.

and once again re: alpha...unless i'm corrected, alpha left because he couldn't abide by the profanity rules not because of the political threads...seriously, who or what could ever offend alpha? he was the smack-down master.

and finally, to make a threat of " i'm leaving, unless something changes" is childish and reeks of self-importance. i wish there was some less-blunt way to state that because i'd rather not offend you.

and i certainly don't wish for you to leave macrumors.

3rd

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

again, i have been here since the beginning...3 years...and have seen troll invasions before

when it gets slow in the political forums, the trolls, who are into abusing others, go to our other forums and basically wreck this site

notice i am the only poster left from 2000? trolls chased many off...when one wants to talk mac and some idiot just goes off on them...trolls find this funny, then we often lose the mac user, not the troll who is usually not a mac user

this site is about macs, not trolls, and certainly not hate and threats

remember, we are macrumors.com, not trolls.com;)

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Rower is a mod, but...it's not up to him (nor any of us for that matter) to shut down a forum. That's arn's decision ultimately.

and for the record...Alpha left at his own will for reasons said above...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.