Tron 2.0

Discussion in 'Games' started by ifjake, Apr 6, 2004.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i read that MacPlay will be done porting Tron 2.0 in May, and i recommend it. true i bought it for PC for half the price that it'll be for the mac, but it's a pretty sweet game. i heard that Mac doesn't deal in DirectX. is this true? if so, i think apple should definately go after it, especially since Microsoft will probably be fine tuning a version of it for the PPC equipped Xbox 2.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Apple go after directX? Nah, directX never performs well. If I play games on the PC and it has an OpenGL option, I use OpenGL.

Well, I guess it was smart of MS to make/stick with DX. Cause without it, PC game and Mac games would come out at the same time and port easier.

Is there a Mac Tron2 demo?

3. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

not that i can tell. i doubt they'll work on making a demo since they're getting close to release. maybe afterwards. i'm not sure why these mac game makers/porters don't make more demos. sure it takes a lot of extra work, but the reason i buy a game is because i play the demo and i like it. i don't buy many games, and when i do it's because of the demo. let's see jedi outcast, freelancer, tron 2.0 are all recent purchases within the past two years or so that i bought after having lots of fun with the demos. with freelancer i hadn't even heard of the game before i found the demo. i thought tron was out of my computer's league, but the demo ran a lot smoother than i expected.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

How many times do I have to tell you people?! :)

The porting houses replace all of the DirectX calls with OpenGL calls, so that your Mac can make the graphics you see on your screen. There are DirectX libraries on the Mac, but they are making OpenGL calls and only simplifying the porting process by giving porters less code to change.

People get it straight. DirectX does not mean the game is impossible to port to the Mac.

5. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

what's the difference in performance? is OpenGL able to replicate everything that DirectX can do? it makes me wonder because i see things about graphics cards being DirectX 9.0 compatible. would certain processes be any more efficient in DirectX over OpenGL or vice versa?

6. applekid macrumors 68020

From a developer's perspective, DirectX is said to be more friendly. OpenGL on the Mac is really catching up to DirectX. OpenGL is able to do many of the things DirectX does, but not all. OpenGL needs a little more updating, that's really all (on the Mac in particular. For example, water effects were disabled for many versions of OS X, until recently. Some games still don't have water effects, though). Performance-wise, it's hard to say. On the Mac, obviously, it's a bit slower, but that's because OpenGL and the graphics card drivers are under-developed compared to the PC counterpart. From my understanding, DirectX has a few advantages and OpenGL has other advantages, so it's a draw.

In fact, it may be possible to release a Mac version of Half-Life 2, but I have to wonder if OpenGL can do all of those effects as well as DirectX. Obviously, there would be slightly higher requirements on the Mac, but that's expected. There also will need to be a lot of support from Apple to get more OpenGL updates through and graphics card drivers updates. Even with all of that, it's a tough call. Now, I'm not saying HL2 is on the way, but from a porting-perspective, it seems possible.

7. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Have you ever looked at the code?

... sorry, I think I need to rest before I post :eek:

8. cubist macrumors 68020

From a programmer's perspective, DirectX (originally known as WinG) is a messy kludge which originally came about because of the mammoth overhead of Windows' graphics subsystem. Microsoft has been layering new capabilities on it, as is their wont, like heavy coats of paint. DirectX is anything but elegant.

Whereas OpenGL was designed from the get-go as an architecture-independent 3D graphics API. Compared to DirectX -- again, from a programmer's perspective -- OpenGL is heaven, and DirectX is hell.

As a programmer, I do not want DirectX to come to the Mac. I would vastly prefer for OpenGL to win out over DirectX on Windows.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Direct3D is the portion of DirectX that handles the graphics. There is more to it than just that, like DirectInput and DirectSound.

How many times do I have to tell you? ;)

10. applekid macrumors 68020

True, true. You do have a point. But most people will think the graphics portion when they hear DirectX. :)