Tron

Discussion in 'Community' started by sparkleytone, Jul 15, 2003.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Well, I just saw this movie for the first time in about 10-15 years. Amazing. I just never would have understood that movie until a couple years ago. Everything about it was just greatness. Some of it makes me even more wary of Microsoft ;) The premise was cool, the way it was realized was awesome, and the movie itself was just great. Jeff Bridges took some big risks early in his career eh? Anyways I just had to make a thread, because that was TOO cool. Having a good bit of computer knowledge really makes that movie come to life.

'That's a BIG door'

2. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

hadent seen if before a few years ago but i bought the collecters edition DVD ;):D its a great flick
    definatlly worth another look if ya havent seen it in a while or ever

Edit: i apologize for the spelling and gramatical mistakes i have produced in this post, which was origionally written while i was chatting on irc and aim, eating my breakfast and reading the newspaper, so i couldent pay full attention to the keyboard, i am not going to fix them as i dont really remember what i was trying to say. so youll just have to fuigure it out for yourself :D

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

hah, great movie, wish I could find those tron games for os x.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Tron was the Matrix of the 80's, it is a great movie an unique in its kind. Last time I saw it was about 4 years ago and then was when I could tell how cheese some things are, but it is a good legacy about the 80's. Very organic computer effects by the way.

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Awesome movie, one of the two major initial uses of computer generated objects in a movie. (The other, of course, being "The Last Starfighter.")

I really need to pick up a copy of Tron one of these days.

Maybe GLTron will temporarily satisfy you. :D

There's also a Tron 2.0 game about to be released, but of course, it doesn't look like they made a Mac version. :rolleyes:

6. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

it was on TV the other day. It's such a great movie because, comparing to today's technology, it really shows how far we've come in computer animation. That movie was one of a kind for a long time.

7. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

I think they are working on sequel to it called Tron 2.0. Disney was involved in it but they weren't happy with the script. Steven Lisberger, who directed the first one, will write the new screenplay. The storyline is closely guarded, but it will push the boundaries of CGI Animation.

I Blog Blaum!

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I like practially any movie that has a computer as a major character or computers as a central theme. Let's see how many I can think of:

2001: A Space Odyssey, The Lawnmower Man, Swordfish, The Terminal Man, Colossus: The Forbin Project, War Games, Demon Seed, THX 1138, The Net, Pi, Sneakers, Electric Dreams, Hackers, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, Westworld, Brainscan, Desk Set (maybe the first movie about computers), Jumpin' Jack Flash, A.I., Bicentennial Man, the Terminator movies, the Matrix movies, and the brand new movie Spy Kids 3D: Endgame.

Who can name some more?

9. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Grade: D-

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I imagine that works for your post as well.

The film was so much better in the cinema as the big things were even bigger. :D My buddies and I played all the Tron arcade games which were available and they were all done so well. I may have the 8-bit computer games too. I think that any sequel will be effects-intensive and poor otherwise.

We can still hope.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Part of the old People Mover ride at Disneyland was based on Tron. You went through a couple of rooms with projected images on the walls to make it look like you were on a Light Cycle in the Tron game. It was the best part of the ride.

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

thanks, not as fun as I remember though.

13. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I happen to watch the Disney channel and have been seeing ads for their spy kids 3d: game over... funny thing is that first time I saw the ad, I immediately thought Tron. I forget a lot of Tron but I do remember the bikes and the outfits, check out this trailer and see if you think that there is any resemblance to Tron.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/spy_kids_3-d/viewingpage.html

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Definitely. The cycles in the MegaRace sequence are just like the Light Cycles from Tron, and even the sound they make is similar.

15. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Same here man, for a second I got all excited thinking it was finally Tron 2.0...no such luck though :rolleyes:

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What do you mean? It is Tron 2, just under another name. The kid enters a video game world, finds out he can really be injured, controls (and battles) giant robots in the computer-generated landscape, rides an amazing cycle, and no doubt prevails in the end despite the odds. The only things un-Tron-like about it are that he has to rescue his sister and they probably don't call it the "Master Control Program".

Hey, Master Control Program... What are the chances I'm right? wav file ;)

17. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I saw Tron2.0 (the game) at E3 this year... VERY cool. The visual style is just stunning, some sort of turbo-boosted version of the original (well, I guess it is just up-to-date).
    Oh, and I heard some Canadian artists are working on a Tron2.0 comic series, inspired by both the original movie and the game...

Syd Mead rocks ! :cool:

18. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Compared to most newer movies, yes, but back in it's time, it was cutting edge.

I do need to see it again...