Tropical Storm Alberto

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, Jun 11, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

June 1st was the start of the Atlantic Ocean's hurricane season and we've already got our first tropical storm--Alberto. When I turned on the 10 o'clock news tonight, they had it improperly titled "hurricane", which was a bit of a surprise.

It looks like Tampa is in for a light, wild ride. Orlando is only going to get some much-needed rain.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Hmm took 11 days i figured it would take less this year.

But who wants to bet on how many we see this year?

3. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

They've said more than last year and it's not the end of the multiple year cycle.

I think we'll see 3 really bad storms with another 13 or so smaller ones.

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So would I. We had four days of rain last week, just light rain - it was our wettest spell in 2 years. We're in the middle of our worst drought in a hundred years and our environment is still recovering from the last one back in the late 1800's.

It's going to have to rain solidly all over the state for about 6 months before we can start to consider this bloody drought over. There are kids out west who have never seen rain - and they're 4 or 5 years old.

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Hey, we're in a drought of our own here. Get your own rain. ;)

We're 8 inches short on rain this year already, and we still have people who refuse to water their lawns just twice per week and they don't actually get fines, just warnings.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

8 inches? Luxury. Oh what I would give to be able to water to water the lawn.... April was a shocker, average rainfall is about 120mm, we got 4mm. We'll run out of water in 2008 if the drought doesn't break soon and there's no indication of anything on the way.

8. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Don't worry, those polar ice caps will melt and you'll have more water than you need. However, there is no such thing as global warming.

I hope that you get rain soon. I know that the way they're taking the water out of the ground without a plan that we'll be in serious trouble because what they've done doesn't allow the water from the hurricanes to replenish the underground supply. It's an indefinite drought.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

All salt, unfortunately.

You can have some of ours. Last night was a downpour. We're getting rain almost every day, but alternating with clear and sunny and record highs. freaky weather.

Average precip. in January is 136 mm
    This January we had 222 mm. and 96 Kmh winds.

37mm already in the first 8 days this month. The MONTHLY average is 32. Bloody wet.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Damn, that would be awesome, this shows our rainfall for the last three years. Going by the majority of NSW being in the 1600mm range that equates to an average of just 44mm a month for the last three years. Less than 1.75" = crap.

[​IMG]

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It stormed here today. Snow in Christchurch, blackouts in Auckland, and some woman complaining that she couldn't get a latte.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Saw the report on the news - gee that snow looked good. We got about 30 - 40cm over the weekend but that looked like easily over half a metre.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

90 cm in some Canterbury town I've never heard of before.

14. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

We're in our own drought as well, here in the UK (land of perpetual rain and umbrellas). There are water-use restrictions in many areas and some fear that stand-pipes will be in use before too long. One of our (many) problems is that there is an enormous (>30%) waste through clapped-out infra-structure.

Global warming or cyclical patterns of climate?

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It rained pretty much all day here in Naples yesterday, which is good...we needed it.

16. Frozone macrumors 6502

Alberto looked almost dead yesterday, but this morning it's putting up a fight! Convection has really flared up and much closer to the center. Forecast calls for it to get stronger with a slight chance of making hurricane status. Living in southwest Georgia and being obsessed with "less than happy" weather, this is getting me pretty excited!

17. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I wish we could get some storms out in the Gulf of Mexico that come up through Texas. We are in some severe drought conditions again this year. We need the rain really bad, especially in the pan handle region.

18. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Wildfires seem to be losing the battle now.

Of course, now we have flash flooding...and green lawns...well, at least, for those people who still had live grass.