Tropical Storm (and maybe hurricane) Erika

Discussion in 'Community' started by G4scott, Aug 15, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm in McAllen, TX, right in the middle of Tropical Storm Erika's path (as of 1:07 AM)

In preparation, I've helped dig a trench by the side of my house to help water drain to the street (city piles layer after layer on alley, water doesn't drain through the back...)

Since it's not projected to be a very powerful storm, and it's moving fairly quickly, not too many people are worried.

Right now, it's 82° F, with winds at around 10mph, and 70-something % humidity (normal South Texas weather)

It's hard to tell there's a nice, tropical storm within about 100 miles...

Attached is a pic of what my backyard looks like now (it's not that bright, I just had to use a long exposure to get the picture, and make the camera happy...) Although it's a 16 second exposure, notice how little the trees are moving... I'll try to take another 16 second exposure later on when things get rough, just for comparison...

2. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

hmm... winds are picking up. The first bands of showers are making landfall, but I'm a bit further west of them. By the looks of things, I'll start to get some rain in about 1-2 hours.

I'd take another picture, but my parents are asleep, and I don't want to wake them up with the whole, open the door, thing...

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

sounds like you're in for a light little bit of a ride. happy rainstorming to you. if the wind isn't too bad, it's always advisable to remove your shirt and shoes and play in the rain (barring lightning, that is). it's especially fun in drizzles at 2 AM, but downpours are fun too. i want some rain here. it seems to only rain in austin while i am asleep...

4. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Is that light from a street lamp?

Good luck and take more pics! :D

D

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Looks like it should be well on land now....

How are things going G4scott? or are you unable to get on-line....

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

OMG! he's been washed away by hurricane erika! what are we going to DO?! :eek:

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Your closest, go check on him! (Pack an emergency Mac since I bet he is having withdrawals! It has been hours since his last post.

What are the numbers? Humans can survive weeks without food, days without water. And a Nerd can survive only hours without a computer. ;)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, he probably lost power....

I'm headed down to Florida for a few days, I just hope there aren't any more of these storms floating around while I'm there....

D

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Most people in our area prefer that it rains at night. They don't want to spoil the beach weather. Weekends are also considered very sacred!

I also hope that G4scott will be OK. Looking forward to more pictures!

11. Geetar macrumors regular

No storms, but the "Red Tide" and thousands of dead fish are getting on my nerves/nose/lungs.

12. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

awh shucks guys... You guys really care for me... :cool: that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

I hate to disappoint you guys, but my power was on 100% of the time, my cable modem stayed connected, and we only got maybe 2 inches of rain...

For a tropical storm, it really sucked...

We really needed the rain, and it all went just south, where it doesn't drain into our watershed...

I'll upload the few pictures I took a bit later. My brother has the digital camera with the pics on it.

There wasn't much damage, except down my street, a light post in a parking lot was knocked over. I'll get pictures tomorrow. The wind wasn't too bad. Maybe gusts of 50mph at the worst...

As for mac withdrawl, I've been with out my Mac for weeks on end before. It's hard, but I manage...

I've just been away from my computer all day because I've been cleaning up my room to get ready for college... For most of the day, my PowerBook was on my dresser, surrounded by junk I took off the floor...

Tropical Storm Erika was like, a bummer...

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very glad to hear that you are OK G4scott. I agree that a 50 mph wind is nothing to write home about. We get that here in NE alot. Wish you well with your packing and your college studies. When do you start and where are you attending?

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

No matter where you live, 50mph (80kph) is a strong wind. In fact, it is strong enough to uproot small trees.

Now I'm not sure what the physics behind wind is, but something at 50/80 can do enough damage to shut down many nearby roads.

BTW: I have relatives that have lived through the eye of Hurricane Andrew. They have their experiences on analog tape. :eek: :eek:

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

12 trees were destroyed at my dad's business in Austin, Texas.

Spent all day last Thursday cleaning it all up.

scem0