Tropical storm/Hurricane Ernesto

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, Aug 28, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Floriduh Keys are being evacuated of tourists already.

There was violence in the Miami area while people were waiting in long lines to get gasoline.

It looks as though Orlando will get it late Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Anyone enjoying hurricane preparations?

I went to get gasoline at Sam's Club and it was only $2.709 per gallon for 87 octane but the lines were a bit long.

The Miami station on t.v. was $3.199 and they were out of anything but premium at $3.499. Is someone being gouged?

2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

no prep for us...

not too worried about ernesto :cool:

winds were only at 40 mph today and he was bearing down on the mountains of cuba... i say we get some rain and maybe 25-30mph winds. :)

3. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

oh man... are they gonna cancel the Miami vs FSU game?

4. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Light traffic, no tolls, possible time off of work, and laughing at all the people forming armageddon lines at the gas pumps... naw, no enjoyment. ;) However, I'm not calling for a "storm cancel" just yet.

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I hope not...I go to UM and I was talking to javarris james, (3rd string RB, and edge's cousin) and he was telling me they hadnt said anything, that they normally find out when we do, when ever paul dee opens his mouth. I think well be alright..I've had 2 kegs ordered since last week :D :D

6. Silentwave macrumors 68000

School was cancelled for us tomorrow and wednesday at least. It was pretty neat, they were able to test out the emergency notification system we implemented this year via Edline, which is a really cool thing our school has adopted.

We almost went live on our TV feed (daily announcements are done via TV show) during lunch, but word spread around school fast enough that we didn't need to bother. If we had, I would have been saddled with setting up and going on air :eek:

Its a shame, because i'm really enjoying the year so far. any progress made today with the ladies will lose its effectiveness when we get back ;)

tensions were really high- EVERYONE in miami has been driving like either:

a) an insane psychopath
    b) a drugged up paranoid conspiracy theorist
    c) a really bad miami driver
    d) someone running from the police.

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

It is funny- pre Katrina tropical storms were mentioned, but CNN didn't usually run its "OMG everyone in Florida is buying every last bottle of water in the entire state" articles unless there was a real big hurricane coming.

It dosen't look like it'll be too damaging, but I can imagine that gas will be a BIG problem, no matter how minor the storm- huge prices and the possibility of being cut off does not make for friendly neighbors.

Lucky for us here in Portland all we have to worry about is a massive earthquake or volcanoe erupting; we leave the deadly storms to you guys. :D

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It looks like it might bring us rainy, droopy weather right in time for orientation week. Doh! :rolleyes:

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Looks like some of my family will be having a rough wet week/end.....heres to spending $50 on phone calls.

Bless

10. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I know what you mean. An east Orlando gasoline station has run out already.

So, pretty much like a typical day? :p :D

Miami always seems better traffic-wise to me than Orlando or Tampa.

11. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I know lines were huge at the gas stations and I think they were price gouging. My mother filled my car up yesterday after taking me to school at 7. After waiting in line for a while, she filled it up: at $3.70 per gallon that's a good 50¢ higher than it was the day before.

I don't want to know how much it waas for her car whichshe filled up later in the day.

Miami has the worst drivers on earth.

12. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Soo many people say that..is driving THAT much better in other parts of the country? examples? because it all seems pretty normal to me..

13. iGary Guest

iGary

I hope we get the remains. We need rain badly.

14. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Actually, my experience is that Miami is a whole lot better than Central Floriduh but the whole state is worse than most, except for Texas (and Arizona) maybe. Of course, I-95 is bad as far as I've been, from Miami to Rhode Island.

I can't believe the prices on gasoline. The law only prevents them from raising prices within 24 hours of the landfall of a major storm, doesn't it? Still, the Attorney General's office should be aware.

15. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

not for long. JJ is so impressive. i think he'll be the starter soon. i went to a closed practice last week. James was the most impressive out of ANY player. moss is fat and a pot head, charlie jones is injured somewhat. Baby James is turning heads.. and will be a force, even as a true freshman. watch out FSU... its hurricane season

16. relimw macrumors 6502a

And how is that different from normal? :D

No prep here, shouldn't be anything worse than the storms we've had the last 2-3 days in Brevard county.

17. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

18. relimw macrumors 6502a

Go figure, by the time Ernesto made it to PA, we actually were getting some 35mph+ winds that had nothing to do with Ernesto. The highest wind I clocked at my house was 28mph as the eye went by....