Tropico- mucho macho

Discussion in 'Games' started by jelloshotsrule, Mar 31, 2003.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

anyone know anything about this game?

i want to get tropico for my machine (os x) but when i search for it at macmall, all i get is tropico-mucho macho... which is fine, as long as i don't need the original tropico to get it to work... is this just an expansion pack (a la sims hot date) or can i get this and be set?

i plan to order this and legion (which looks sweet)

2. BrittasMac macrumors member

Tropico Mucho Macho is a bundle of the original Tropico and the Paradise Island expansion set. Go for it.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Here's how I feel about Tropico: Awesome game, in OS 9. In OS X it is a pain. It takes about 20 minutes to start up for me, always says, "creating weather system" forever. plays really sluggishly. There was one patch made since it's release which does nothing. Still, a great game and very long too.

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

do the newer versions ship with an os x installer??? i don't want to have to install in 9 and then run a dumb carbonized version...

6. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

sorry but you have no choice. the installers are one in the same. afterwards you'll see shortcuts for both OS 9 and X. they are exactly the same. the manual even says something like "if you have problems with the X version try running the 9 version in X, it works great." not true. they both perform lame in X. it is nothing more than a Carbonized slug. unfortunately it doesn't look like there is much support for the Mac version at all. there hasn't been a patch since the first one a year ago, which did nothing that i could tell. lots of RAM and a fast machine will help but it's not the same as the 9 version. still, a good game.

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh nuts... i've tried running the old one on my machine. doesn't run well in x (if at all) and my 9 boot is flaky...

****e. i ordered it for my g/f's bday... it's backordered. but hell, worth a shot...

thanks for the heads up

8. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    hmm, never even tried running it in OS9, yeah it's a little sluggish on my iMac, maybe I'll try that :)

so is the expansion worth getting???

jello..where in nyc are ya??? oh, and your 'tar, not from a "firetrap" ad is it????

9. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haven't gotten the expansion just yet myself... we'll see

i'm at union square. i go to nyu (graduating in may)

10. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn, ever go to me uncle's pub, Josie Woods?
    I work on Broadway n Prince a lot of the time, small world.

11. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ha. i don't drink or really "go out"... at least not to pub's. but the name's familiar

where is it?

12. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well, i finally got the game... ordered it in early april.... i guess it just came out for mac. or was rereleased or something

in any case, it does in fact have an os x installer, which was a big plus... haven't really pushed the performance/stability yet, but i'm sure my girlfriend will be more than happy to do that for me...