Trouble Backing Up DVDs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ispeakmango, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ispeakmango macrumors member

so ever since i got my powerbook i've been ripping and burning dvds and everything was going fine i was using the standard method:

dvd > dvd backup > dvd2onex > burn in toast under data dvd ram

whenever i rip it i always do the backup to video_ts and then dvd2onex a new video_ts in a folder with the same name as original dvd and put an empty audio_ts file in there. so i have something like this in toast:

DVD_NAME
    vAUDIO_TS
    vVIDEO_TS
    FILE.VOB
    FILE.BUP
    etc.

every once in a while i see a ds store file between dvd_name and audio_ts which i just delete. but this time when trying to backup the dvd everything was fine i put a blank dvd in hit record and as soon as it starts up i see two files in my EMPTY audio_ts file that weren't there before, desktop.ds and desktop.df i have no idea what they are and have never seen them before i've made 2 coasters already and blank dvds aren't cheap. does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Go to Advanced mode and make sure that "Copy Desktop Database" and "HFS Standard" are unticked.

Alternatively, use DVD2OneX to make an image file, and use Disk Utility to write it to DVD. That's the method I always use.

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    those desktop.*, dstore* files makes no difference, sometimes, im lazy and leave them in there.

Try one thing though... put the coasters back in and try to open it with DVD Player, if it wont, then try using the "Open VIDEO_TS Folder" option instead, if that wont open... im guess either it's not burned as a UDF (DATA DVD's dont work in my standalone player), or it's missing an index file..

4. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I've been having problems with the same method since updating to 10.3.3. I recently did a clean install and went through my normal DVD backup process and it worked fine but after applying the 10.3.3 update I just get coasters. They seem to work fine but if I skip through the chapters in DVD Player it locks it up and I have to force quit it. When I play it in my regular DVD player it locks up towards the end of the disc.

Has anyone else experienced this because I thought that it was just me having problems.....maybe it is.