Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinpei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2015
Heidelberg, Germany
I am having trouble cloning my macbook pro harddisk to an external harddisk (JetDrive 725) vis usb.

When I use Disk Utilities to restore, I got the following error message:

/sbin/newfs_hfs failed with errow 256 Could not restore -Resource busy Operation failed.

Could somebody tell me how to solve this problem. Thank you!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Could somebody tell me how to solve this problem"

Easy answer:
Use CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper) instead!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am having trouble cloning my macbook pro harddisk to an external harddisk (JetDrive 725) vis usb.

When I use Disk Utilities to restore, I got the following error message:

/sbin/newfs_hfs failed with errow 256 Could not restore -Resource busy Operation failed.

Could somebody tell me how to solve this problem. Thank you!
Are you doing this from recovery? Command-r boot to recovery and try it from there.

Did you format the new drive?

Also, what size are the two volumes? To use Disk Util the destination will need to be as large as the source (even if the source is not full). So for example if the destination is a 256GB drive you would need to reduce the source partition to say 255GB, even if there is only 100GB of data on it.

shinpei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2015
Heidelberg, Germany
Are you doing this from recovery? Command-r boot to recovery and try it from there.

Did you format the new drive?

Also, what size are the two volumes? To use Disk Util the destination will need to be as large as the source (even if the source is not full). So for example if the destination is a 256GB drive you would need to reduce the source partition to say 255GB, even if there is only 100GB of data on it.

Thanks for a reply:)

I am not familiar with your comment about "the source partition". My current drive is roughly 250GB and new one is 480GB. What am I supposed to do??

I indeed did start with the "Command -r" boot and I did format my drive. (I followed
.)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for a reply:)

I am not familiar with your comment about "the source partition". My current drive is roughly 250GB and new one is 480GB. What am I supposed to do??

I indeed did start with the "Command -r" boot and I did format my drive. (I followed.)

I was referring to the size of the respective drives, but since you are going from 250GB to 480GB, that is not the problem.

If you are following that video exactly step by step it should work.

Try this... while in that recovery screen select the old internal drive and click that First Aid button to see if it finds any errors.

(Maybe you need to whistle that song while you are working? :D)

WardH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
South Jersey
In preparation for installing a 480Gb Jetdrive into my rMBP, I cloned my internal drive to my backup USB external drive using a free trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner.
I first used Disc Utility to erase and format the external drive. Then I cloned the internal to the external. I included the Recovery partition in the cloning process. I was able to boot up using the cloned external drive and everything worked as planned. It was a very easy process and took about 35 minutes for 210 Gb.
Now I have the confidence to clone my internal drive to the new Jetdrive in the supplied enclosure over USB, then take the Jetdrive out of the enclosure and install into the laptop.

If the procedure in the video is giving your trouble, just might want to try the free CCC way.

shinpei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2015
Heidelberg, Germany
Thanks you for your replies. The problem was solved.

I bought a new JetDrive and returned the one I first bought. Everything worked fine:) It was not easy to tell that it had a defect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.