Trouble connecting to wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lollypop, May 6, 2005.

1. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Hi

my uni wireless network uses 802.1x for authentication, more specifically EAP/TLS. When I open internet connections and go to 802.1x and edit the configuration it doesnt give me TLS as an option, it says I need a compatible certificate.

I have added the CA certificate as well as the certificate that was generated for me. What however bothers me is that according to google when i add my own certificate to the keychain in suppose to be asked for the certificates passphrase.... and it doesnt. Any ideas??

Thanks

2. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Figured it out, the CA certificate had to be added to the System keychain and my certificate has to be added to the login keychain.. then it accepted TLS as authentication method and all went fine.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Wow, like talking to yourself and answering at the same time, less you used a keyboard.
    I am just curious why(where) your useing these protocols.
    University?
    Last time I checked most people aren’t so concerned that they need to manually provide authentication for ciphering. Worried about somebody breaking a weak hash?

Note: I am not in the cube behind you, and I don't work for the NSA.

4. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

My university doesnt really allow us to use any form of wireless tech, but since a few of use do wireless reasearch we have to use those technologies. So as a compromise we had to make it rather secure... we have a dedicarted machine that runs a openRADUIS server as well as a firewall, one ethernet port connects to the AP and the other to the rest of the campus network, the certificates where genarated using openSSL.

Wish i could tell you more but my security knowledge of wireless is rather poor, im studying the deployment of a MAN in Johannesburg useing wireless tech so that level of security isnt really my main concern. But if you want I can get you more details.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

that is kinda of funny. spend all the money on a secure wireless network then make sure no one can use it.

6. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

It is odd, but the uni is very security paranoid, only 4 people have access to that access point, any other access points connected to the university network are apparently illegal.

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Thanks, it a rarity that somebody posts questions like the ones you did. That's why I asked if you were at a university. I got me wondering, and instead of a dead cat, I am one with a smile.

The protocols you mentioned I thought were experimental. As for wireless security, it doesn’t matter. The protocols can be run through any medium.

Best of skill and luck in your research.

8. homa2001 macrumors newbie

Leopard and MS certs

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a user cert generated for a windows machine and for a mac? I can get a cert from and windows CA, but TLS won't recognize it.
    I imported the CA and now it's trusted, but when i import the cert is still says that it's signed by and unknown authority.