Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
Help. Using Quicktime Pro's "Export Movie to iPod (320x240)," I can convert .avi files to mp4 with no trouble at all. But whenever I try .mpg/mpeg files, there's no audio. Why the hell not? I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with this. All I want is everything in the world on my ipod. Is that so much to ask? Somebody help me...
Thanks

OSUmike

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2006
hi

I downloaded a free program called VideoraIpod Converter, now although ive had problems converting avi files, ive had all but no problem converting mpeg's to mp4's with it. Best part is the free version works just fine.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
Man. I don't even know what demuxed means. That's trouble for me. Is there a way to do the conversion with Quicktime? I'll try some other things soon, but it seems uncharacteristically untidy for mac to make me download something that's not quicktime to do what quicktime SHOULD do...

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
iSquint

So I just discovered iSquint (http://www.isquint.org), and so far it's proved to be pretty successful. To quote their site: "iSquint is an iPod video conversion app for Mac OS X.
It's many times faster than QuickTime Pro, works with almost all popular video formats, and it's infinitely free-er." They're right. If anyone else is having troubles like I was, give this a shot. I'll post again if anything more goes wrong. Thanks for your help, though, everybody.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Quicktime Pro...

Frustrating that QT Pro is such a hassle, but I also vote for iSquint (for Mac users).

It is by far the fastest, cleanest and simplest free video converting app I have found.

With my 1.5ghz 12" Powerbook, I get right around real time conversions just as the programmer claims. However, a 1.8ghz G5 iMac does it at LEAST 3 times faster.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
absurdio said:
Help. Using Quicktime Pro's "Export Movie to iPod (320x240)," I can convert .avi files to mp4 with no trouble at all. But whenever I try .mpg/mpeg files, there's no audio. Why the hell not? I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with this. All I want is everything in the world on my ipod. Is that so much to ask? Somebody help me...
Thanks
I use the Videora program to convert mpeg files, i noticed that you have to make sure the manual conversion settings (don't use the default) are compatible as some settings for video or audio kbps ratings will either leave the video or audio conversion messed up. what i do is to put the audio settings at 128kbps and video at 700++kbps. with this setting, i've experienced no problems at all and video quality is good enough. at least for me.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
I just had my first trouble with iSquint. It was (strangely) with an .avi file. Quicktime hit some error with it, though, so i tried iSquint. Sure enough, it converted the file fine, and it plays in itunes with no problem. Then i try to play it on the ipod though, and after a little less than a minute, it catches and then picks up again with no sound. If you scan forward, it'll do the same. Play fine for about a minute, then hiccup and have no sound. Odd. It may just be a problem with the original file, though, and not iSquint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.