Trouble displaying X-Windows from remote Mac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hayduke, Jan 29, 2007.

1. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

So I have a mac pro and Powerbook on the same network at work and I am unable to display windows from the remote x-server (MacPro) onto the Powerbook (or vise versa). Example...

On Powerbook from the terminal

bash
    xhost +
    ssh -Y me@macpro...
    xclock & (my simple test that x-windows is really working or not...)

I can log in fine, but it complains that it can't "Open the display." after the "xclock &" command.

I have tried lots of combinations of SSH -Y, SSH -X, xhost-ing, export DISPLAY=:0.0 etc., but I haven't struck gold. I've always been able to get this sorted out between two machines, but never when they were both macs. Any thoughts? The network connection is fine. SSH/SCP work fine. AFP works fine.

I know what I'm doing...more or less...but the terminal genies aren't cooperating. Any help out there? Step by step is fine with me!

2. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke

So I'm still trying to figure this one out, but I haven't made any progress. Does anyone have any tips. I expect that I should be able to do this from any shell (bash, tcsh, etc.), but maybe that is part of the problem. My older PowerBook is set-up to use tcsh and the new MacPro uses bash. I can, of course, start either shell on either machine, but I just can't get this to work. Tips?