Trouble during tedious rebuild of my iTunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jul 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I recently lost my whole itunes library, & have been slowly rebuilding it, by re adding all my music, but for a couple of albums, I get a red stop sign error message saying it cant copy to music disk, the file is in use, & iTunes will not place them in the library.

I have made an attachment screen shot to show what is happening. what could be causing this? I ran a disk permissions, & it helped with a few other albums, but there are still some that are stubbornly not loading into my new library.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

Have you tried resetting the SMC?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

3. macrumors 65816

Partron22

Can you duplicate the troublesome album folders in Finder?
    If so, have you tried adding the duplicate files rather than the originals?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried the SMC reset, it did not work, I am using the music volume in an esata dual bay enclosure, & perhaps the esata is not working well with my mac mini, or maybe those individual folders are corrupt?

@Partron22, I tried copying the troublesome albums from my external to my mac, & then tried to load them into itunes, & got the same thing, it seems to think something or someone is using them.

5. macrumors 65816

Partron22

You have admin privileges?
    Do a Finder 'Get info' on one of your copied files, 'Sharing & Permissions', and make sure everyone's got read and write privileges. Those do sometimes get screwed up.

You HAVE rebooted by now, I hope?

6. Sossity, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have rebooted, I have since shut down & powered up since this post.

Edit; checked the permissions for those albums, & it said I had read and write.