Trouble exporting audio from a .mpg movie with Quicktime Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by King Cobra, Oct 6, 2002.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

I just got the Quicktime Pro serial today, so now I know why you don't go back to just player. :)

But I am having trouble trying to export a .mpg movie to .mp4 or anything else and keeping the audio.

Specifically, the .mpg file has an audio track in it, 'cause I can hear it playing. But when I go to Export... and go to the options menu for MPEG-4 I get in the audio paragraph:

"No audio will be output because this movie has no audio tracks."

I tried to export all the audio using iTunes and Audacity, but it cannot be done.

I don't get this problem for .mov files, but for .mpg files I do. Why?

Also, Quicktime unexpectedly quits. Just a minute ago it was exporting a .mov movie into MPEG-4 format, and it quit while I was browsing the forums.

I did a fresh install of OS X on my Cube with 10.1.5 yesterday. 1GB RAM.

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Have you tried extracting the audio track as a MP3 and editing it back into the MP4 video file?

3. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

I can't extract the audio from Quicktime. There sems to be no option. And I'll echo that iTunes and Audacity could not help me out. From .mpg to .dv and into iMovie didn't work as well.

What did you have in mind?

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...I just tried and was similarly unsuccessful...

It must be because of the way QT handles MPEG tracks...the video and audio are mixed...???

5. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

I think you're right, Rower. Either that, or just MPEG-1 in general can't define audio from video.

I have an MPEG-4 of the Ferrell Switch ad, and QTP can separate the audio/video.

I'll also add that past experiences of trying to convert audio from MPEG-1 from iTunes was unsuccessful. If anyone else has Pro and would lie to confirm this, great. If not, don't worry.

But, occassionally, Pro crashes on me, and, unlike most apps, occurs when I'm moving the mouse and browsing the internet.

I'll do a file system check, reset my OF and zap the PRAM tomorrow to see if it happens again anytime soon. :cool:

6. vniow macrumors G4

Look for a program called bbdemux.
    It's supposed to split the audio and video so you can export it.:)

7. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Demux works great, except that I have to change .m1a to .mp3.

So I managed to convert a 50MB music video down to 11.4MB. However, during all the conversion processies something either quits or F's up on me. Photoshop quit twice on me, and I restarted my computer before I could print out anything. Also, I had to Force Quit Quicktime once, all of this today. Is this normal for Quicktime Pro?