Trouble finding the ip adress to my wireless router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThomasM, Sep 5, 2006.

1. ThomasM macrumors regular

Hola

I´m having some issues finding the IP adress to my wireless 3com router
    I need to access it so i can add other computers, update the password etc.

Basicly, i´ve been trying to get the ip from network settings - airport - tcp/ip, but none of the IP´s work when i enter them in safari

2. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

use the network utility app to do a traceroute to a website like www.google.com, your router should be the first ip address to show up

3. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Make sure you are using your wireless connection. Go to your Terminal and type the following command:

This lists the entries in your arp table; on of the ip addresses being your wireless router. Note that this only works if your wireless router is not in bridging mode (like my airport express).

Give it a try... :)

4. ThomasM thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the first ip that came up, but that was the modem and not the wireless router, none of the other ip´s work.

I also tried using the arp -a command, though when i enter that ip, it tries to connect to my modem instead of my wireless router, which i dont understand, since im connected via my wireless router.

5. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

ah, so your wireless router is seperate, just like mine :)

I guess it must be in bridging mode, so when I need to get back into the config program for my airport, one of the following things normally works for me.

Try unplugging the ethernet cable from it, then join onto the wireless network. If DHCP usually comes from its ethernet port then it will hopefully revert to a 169.254.x.x rendezvous address, and so will your laptop. If it was an airport then airport admin utility should suddenly be able to see it, it might also now show up in the arp table.

you could try doing a ping scan with Nmap or some other similar network utility (not included in osx) if it has some kind of intrusion detection or firewall built in then it may ignore you thinking its a hacking attempt though...

if you can get into your routers config pages, it may have somewhere in it a list of connected devices, your wireless bridge may be one of those. this depends on your router.

if you connect your computer into its ethernet port, then you should get more useful results from arp -a

hope one of those works, let us know

6. ThomasM thread starter macrumors regular

I tried connecting the TP cable to the ethernet port in the wireless router, didnt get me any closer.

Have to go to sleep now, up early tomorrow.
    Will keep trying to reach a solution, updates tomorrow.