Trouble Importing WMA's

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ee99ee, Jun 18, 2006.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I am having problems importing some WMA's on my new Mac. I could do it fine in Windows iTunes, but I can't now from OSX for some reason. I usually just drag them into iTunes and it imports, but nothing happens now.

What's the trick?

-chris

2. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Only the Windows version supports WMA.

What you need to do is either convert all of your music to a different format on your PC and then transfer the files again, or burn a CD (audio CD, not Data CD) of the music from you PC, then import it into iTunes for OSX.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm going to explain this is a little more detail.

Neither version (Windows or Mac) of iTunes can read WMA. The Windows version passes WMAs along to the Windows Media components included with Windows, and the decoding is done there. Of course, Mac OS doesn't have Windows Media built-in so iTunes can't hand the decoding off to it.

It is possible to get QuickTime components for WMA, such as Popwire or Flip4Mac (I assume these can read WMA as well as WMV). If you have QuickTime Pro you could then export to a native format.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You also need to pay for the enhanced version of Flip4Mac to be able to export, even with QuickTime Pro (I have Pro and tried it and it doesn't work).

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, back when the player cost money you could export, they must've removed this when they made it free.

6. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I have Windows Media Player on my Mac, and I can play the files. Why can't iTunes pass it through Windows Media Player?

Also, I have several hundred WMA's I need to import. Is there a batch way to do this?

-chris

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Becuase Windows Media Player is not built into the operating system at any level. Just like QuickTime is not integrated at all with Windows. You shouldn't even have Windows Media Player for Mac anymore, as the Flip4Mac player allows QuickTime to play files. Microsoft says right on their own site not to use IE or WMP for Mac anymore.

Come to think of it... Flip4Mac might just let you put WMAs into iTunes (still no iPod though).