Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac4matt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure what's wrong with my macbook, but the activity monitor won't open. Whenever I click on it, nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
You should see it in the dock with a small black triangle under it. Clicking that icon in the dock should bring up the window.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
mac4matt said:
I'm not sure what's wrong with my macbook, but the activity monitor won't open. Whenever I click on it, nothing happens. Any suggestions?
Depending on how you left it, Activity Monitor may open, but not show you the window that you want.

After you click on it, wait til it's loaded, and then try hitting CMD-1 for the main window.

mac4matt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
BTW - I'm fairly new to macs. That aside, when I click on the program in application - utilities folder nothing happens. Then I do a search in spotlight and click on that and nothing happens. The window does not appear on the screen and the icon doesn't show up in the dock (like usual).

I have used AM quite a bit in the past and it has always worked fine. The last thing I did to it was "remove from dock". Did I mess something up when I did that? I don't understand?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'm still new to Macs too but I'm having a blast learning! :)

The only other thing I can think of is to use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Weird. If you restart the machine can you open Activity Monitor? If you still can't, then create a new user account in System Preferences and try opening it in that account. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.