Trouble opening files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ngoko, Dec 28, 2005.

1. ngoko macrumors newbie

I am working on OSX 10.4.2 and suddenly I can NOT open any documents by double clicking on the file or dragging them to the application I want it to open in.

Any ideas?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi Ngoko, that sounds frustrating. :( I hope we can helop. May I ask you a couple of favors, please?

First, please do not double post. Just make one thread.

Second, although it does not directly address this problem, are you able to upgrade to 10.4.3, perhaps by using the Apple Software Updater program (from the Apple menu)? 10.4.3 is sooo much more stable than 10.4.2.

Third, if you can launch either the Terminal or the Activity Monitor (both in Applications/Utilities, I think), then can you please try *ONE* of the three following ideas:

1) Open Terminal, type "killall Dock" (no quotes, but use the same capitalization shown) and press enter. The Dock, Dashboard, and Exposé will temporarily be disabled, and will return in about five seconds. See if things work after that.

2) Open Activity Monitor, type "Dock" in the search bar. It will come up with the dock process. Highlight it, and click the Quit Process button, and confirm if you are asked to do so. Again, the Dock, Dashboard, and Exposé will temporarily be disabled, and will return in about five seconds. See if things work after that.

3) If neither of these work, go to the Apple Menu, then Force Quit. Select finder from the list. The Force Quit button will change to "Relaunch Finder." Click it.

Please see if any of these three help you?

3. ngoko thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I tried the three steps you suggested and upgraded to 10.4.3 and still no luck.... The application opens if I drag a file to the icon but the file itself does not open. Should I try reinstalling my creative suite or is it an operating system issue?

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

This may be a fairly simple process of repairing permissions (using Disk Utility in your Applications:Utilities folder) or, do a "Get Info" on the files you want to open. Under "Open With" make sure that the application you want to use is listed (or navigate to it using Other...) and selected. Then click on the Change All... button. You may need to do this for each type of file (each application in CS).

Attached Files:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you meant that this was true for all applications. If this is a problem with CS, I think there is also a known issue / bug with Adobe CS. If you only have this issue with CS, that may be the problem. If I understand this bug, it can be triggered suddenly, and thereafter you see the issue you described.

Let me find you a link....

Here: Please see if the directions in this knowledge base note help:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329996.html

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

^^^

Interesting; hadn't seen that one before. I'll have to file that away for future reference.

7. ngoko thread starter macrumors newbie

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And which witch is which? :eek: ;) :D