Trouble opening jpg files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jmom, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Jmom macrumors newbie

When I try to open a jpg file, sent to me from my brother in Europe, I keep getting the following message: "Couldn’t open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize." I can open other jpg files. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You might try to open it with a program with a different JPEG decoder, like GraphicConverter (shareware, but I think the free trial period is unlimited). If that works out, you can save it under another name or different format so that you can use it normally.

3. Jmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried Graphic Converter also

The message there is: "The document "xxx.jpg" is in an unknown format."

I now have read that I'm to include more info on my computer. It's a Power Mac G5 running 10.4.8.

Thanks for your suggestion - I'd welcome another.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Then I'm inclined to think that the file may not be a JPEG image, or really may be corrupt.

Try dragging the image file onto your TextEdit app icon. The first line should start with some lovely gobbledygook that looks like ˇÿˇ‡JFIF - is that what you see? (the JFIF is the interesting part)

5. Jmom thread starter macrumors newbie

TextEdit feedback

Sorry to take so long - thanks for helping! The first line starts with:
    >
    H
    U.bJPEG8BIMxxx.jpg‡‡

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That looks like Finder attributes (JPEG8BIM would be a .jpg created by an Adobe program). How is your brother sending the file, and what are you using to receive it? Does the size of the file look reasonable for an image?

7. Jmom thread starter macrumors newbie

He's sending it to me in the body of an e-mail, and it's also attached. The attachment says it's 58K. I can see it in the e-mail, but can't open the downloaded file.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Ok, here are a couple things to try (not sure what email program you're using).

Is more than one attachment listed? If you're saving one, try the other :)

Does your mail program allow you to drag the picture (the part displayed inline) from the email message to your desktop? Or copy it to the clipboard?

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Another thing you could do is, assuming the other two things don't work, just take a screen selection with Shift + Apple + 4.

10. Jmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Eureka!

Thanks so much, people! I was able to drag it to another window and save it to the desktop from the e-mail. Still don't know why I couldn't get the downloaded file, itself, but I'm just so glad to have the photo. Now, I'll have some other tricks to try when I get some more!

Thanks again.