Trouble Printing PDFs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by igucl, Sep 18, 2005.

1. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I'm sorry if this has been covered in another thread. I've been searching these forums as well Apple's support site and have not found anything helpful.

My problem has to do with printing PDF files from the web. The text seems to shift down and to the right on the printed page. It's as if the margins are being changed before printing.

I suspect that the particular PDFs giving me trouble were created with MS Word, but I didn't think that would make a difference once it's in PDF format. Is that right? I have tried various combinations of print settings and page setups, but the same problem occurs. I have also tried opening the document with Preview instead of leaving it in Safari.

Is it possible that changing the text encoding of Safari to something like 'Mac OS Roman' would have any effect?

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I am using an HP Photosmart printer and an iMac G5 running 10.4.2. I printed the same PDF with a PC without any problems.

Here is a link to the file: http://uwp.edu/~zameerud/PRIVATE/ACCOUNTING301/chapteroutlines/ch02.pdf (If you try to print it, just choose page 4. It is quite long, and page 4 is a good representative for the problem I'm having)

I would appreciate any suggestions you all might have. Thanks.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I have done a print out, HP Color LJ 3700, and it turned out like it looks on the PDF. No difference. I notice that page 4 looks different from all the others. If you look at it, its first line is indented unlike the pages around it, making it look like its farther to the right. Then the text at the bottom runs right up next to the 2-4, which gives it the illusion of looking like it runs lower than the others, well, because it does. That is how it looks in the PDF. Whoever made it didn't stick to the same bounders for each page, or just carried the next bullet point to the next page instead of one line at the bottom.

3. igucl thread starter macrumors 6502a

igucl

Thank you very much for checking it out.

I think you're right about the methods used by the person who made it. Nevertheless, there are still differences between a printout made with a PC and one made by my Mac. It seems as though the PC uses smaller type, because the text does not run as far down the page. What causes this difference? Would changing my text encoding solve this? I don't really know what text encoding is.