Trouble printing to HP 7760 Printer - Please Help!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ClassyKate, Mar 22, 2004.

1. ClassyKate macrumors newbie

My parents own a new iMac and recently bought an HP Photosmart 7760 photo printer. They were trying to print a wedding shower invitation which measures 8.5 x 5.5 (printable area is 4 x 6). However, each time they tried printing, it wouldn't work - the printer stops and goes into a que status. When they tried printing on "regular" 8.5 x 11 it would work fine. They called the HP help desk and were told that the OSX platform wouldn't support "custom" paper sizes, but that the OS9 would. Is there any way to work around this? Any suggestions? My parents are about to go postal on the entire computer and printer - they are ready to give it all up out of frustration. Any help is appreciated!

2. mikepctp macrumors member

My suggestion would be to create a PDF (Adobe Acrobat) of the invitation at it's 5.5 X 8.5 size and save it to the desktop.
    Open another blank page and define it as 8.5 X 11 and place two of the PDF's on the new document... one at the top and one at the bottom.
    Send the final 2-up document to your printer as a page size you know it will print. Print half as many as you need and cut them in half on a kitchen cutting board with a wallpaper knife and a steel straight edge.

All this depends on what software you have... there are many that can do this.

Good luck... MP

3. mikepctp macrumors member

Oh ya, forgot to mention... I have Acrobat. If you have trouble, let me know and you can email it to me and I will set it up for you.

Just a thought... :)

We just can't sit here and have the parents abandon such a fine and wonderful machine as a Mac. :D

MP

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

mike I believe the issue is that they bought pre-sized cards to run through an inkjet printer. I am in commercial printing and get this all the time, though we make plates and go to press with them. My point being, they can't run it "2-up" the invites are already sized to 1-up.

If for no other reason ClassyKate, just boot into OS 9 for the time being, print the invites, sooth the family feathers then check into it later. I'm sure there is a solution out here.

5. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

6. mikepctp macrumors member

Hey there Sparky... I too am in Commercial Printing but on the Pre-press side (the CTP in mikepctp stands for computer to plate...lol)...

If they bought pre-sized/cut stock... still no problem... get some masking tape and 'wear out the sticky' a bit so it just holds together through the printer once... tape them together and run it!!!

I have done that many times with many printers that don't do what I want them to when I want them to... gotta be a bit of a scotch tape and band-aids kinda person in this world I say. If only OSX supported my serial on my G3... my printer would work too!!! lol...

Cheers!

MP

7. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I knew that mikectp, I am the "Manager of Digital Pre-press" for Capital Printing in Schenectady , New York

(Take the title for it's worth) I' strated sweeping floors in '69 and got aprenticed as a stripper, then wnet to the Gerber Layout machine in '77 trained on Hell 300, 390 and other scanners in '78, moved on to Scitex in 81, then Macs in 88 and never looked back.

And all I want to do is spend a few days in the wilderness with my kids and my cameras- no cell phones, no TV no LapTops, just a camp fire and plenty of film (real film no digital). And cook, I love to cook.

Anyway lets try and help Classy out. I got way off topic, sorry.

8. mikepctp macrumors member

Yup, you're right Sparky... a bit off topic but I have been in the biz for 27 years and have a similarly sorted past as you do but with many years as a tech rep for 3 of the big manufacturers tossed in for good fun.

I am thinking that if Kate was to 'assemble' a 2-up document and tape her pre-cut sheets together; she just might have her folks settled into a hybrid print shop with our fair Mac at the root.

I can build the page for her and email it back in a format ready for printing to her HP as I am sure you could as well.

This forum is all about holding and shaking hands with the challenge.

Whaddaya say Kate?

MP