Trouble re-starting my Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ettienne, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Ettienne macrumors newbie

I recently re-set the administrator password on My G4 running Mac OS 10.4 Tiger. In order to do so I had to select the installation CD as my startup disk because it wasn't recognizing the original Tiger Disk 1 I have.

I tried re-starting without the CD, holding down the 'C' to boot from the version of Tiger(installed on my computer) but all I get now is a screen with a Padlock on one side, a text field and an arrow button. Anyone who has seen this before will know what I'm taking about.

I tired entering my new system administrator password and clicking the button but nothing happened. Does anyone know how I can get past this and re-boot using the version of OSX I already have installed on my computer!

Thanks for your help!

2. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Have you tried restarting the Mac without holding down C? Just curious, not to sound like a jerk.

3. Ettienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha-yes I have and no joy! The computer begins to start up then imediately re-starts ( I think when it realises there is no CD in the drive). I get a screen with a folder in the middle with a question mark in it, that then changes to a happy mac face. If I press the option key (not 'C' as previously stated), I get the screen with the padlock.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have a screen shot or photo of the padlock and text field? I can't think what that'd be.

Is it letting you boot from the OSX discs? If so, maybe try an Archive & Install. This should probably be a last resort though. :)

5. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Alright, we'll try to figure something out here then. What operating system came on your computer, and also, what model is it? I'll try to search around the forums and see if I can get any answers for you. What cd was the installation cd that you used to get the computer into the disk utility? You may have a problem with the permissions on the computer, since updating your information. The way to service this problem while not booting into your typical atmosphere is to boot the computer while holding down C. Once you get into the "installation" screens, you would then click "Disk Utility" on the top bar and then "Repair Disk", if I remember correctly. From there you would need to verify and repair permissions and possibly do the same for your HDD. Try that out and let me know. Also, archive & install may be an option as Mad has suggested, but try that out first.

6. Ettienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it letting you boot form the OSX discs?

Unfortunately it isn't. Using the 1st Tiger installation disk gives me the option of re-installing Tiger which I don't need to do because it's already there, along with all my programs and files etc... I am trying to avoide the drama of having to re-install everything.

Unfortunately I am at work. I will see if I can talke a digital photo of the screen over the weekend and then post it on monday.

7. Ettienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, we'll try to figure something out here then. What operating system came on your computer, and also, what model is it?

MAC OSX 10.1, it is a Power Mac G4 466

I'll try to search around the forums and see if I can get any answers for you. What cd was the installation cd that you used to get the computer into the disk utility?

I have since bought a copy of Tiger. I was using the 1st Tiger installation disk to get the computer into the disc utility.

You may have a problem with the permissions on the computer, since updating your information. The way to service this problem while not booting into your typical atmosphere is to boot the computer while holding down C. Once you get into the "installation" screens, you would then click "Disk Utility" on the top bar and then "Repair Disk", if I remember correctly. From there you would need to verify and repair permissions and possibly do the same for your HDD. Try that out and let me know. Also, archive & install may be an option as Mad has suggested, but try that out first.

Will do! And thanks once again for your help!

8. Ettienne thread starter macrumors newbie

9. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Obvious next question; have you tried resetting the PRAM and other steps that they recommend for any problems that may coincide with Password Protection?

10. Ettienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Obvious next question; have you tried resetting the PRAM and other steps that they recommend for any problems that may coincide with Password Protection?

No I haven't, as I only just found this article. I will have give it a go when I get home from work, this evening. Will post on monday and let you know how I get on.

11. Ettienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Trouble Starting My Mac

Ok so I tried to re-set the PRAM and no luck! I follow the instructions for re-setting PRAM here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

During this process I am once again asked for my password. I type it in and nothing even though I have recently re-set it and I am use is the new one.

Before trying to re-set PRAM, I verified my disk permissions and repaired my disk.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am at a loss!