Trouble reading CD in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Marky_Mark, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

I've had no end of trouble reading a particular CD into iTunes - Pulse, by Pink Floyd.

When I put the disk into the drive, the drive chatters and clicks around for a good five minutes before the disk is mounted in either the finder or within iTunes. Then, when you select a track to import, it goes through the whole rigmarole again before deciding to play ball. The CD is clean and undamaged, and it happens with both disks of the album. Another album I've had similar trouble with is Elton John's Greatest Hits.

The CD drive doesn't experience this with any other albums I own, and the CD drive itself works exactly as it should, except for these specific albums and in the way described. I have a 2005 iBook G4 12", with a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

Both these are popular enough albums and so I wondered if anyone else had had the same symptoms. Have the disks got some sort of wierd format?

Thanks for your help. No comments on my taste in music please! :p

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I bought Pink Floyd Pulse when it first came out and had no trouble copying it to itunes a couple of years ago
    I have had a similar problem however with Moby's Everything is wrong
    i think the problem is due to copyright protection software embeded in the cd

3. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated.

Wonder why my copy of Pulse is different to yours - I too bought mine when it was first released about ten or eleven years ago. I ripped it originally into iTunes on a PC, with iTunes 4.x - this is the first time I had tried to mount it on a Mac. Wonder if iTunes is now more sensitive to copy protection than it was in earlier versions, or if it is something to do with MacOSX. I'd still be interested in other's opinions on the subject....

Thanks again, poopyhead.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've got a similar problem with Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2.

It's got a regular CD logo on the back but will it play in my Powerbook... nope. No scratches, no nothing - just doesn't work.

5. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I can't imagine there was much of copyright protection on CDs 10-11 years ago. Does itunes play the CD?
    I know my old powerbook with combo drive was difficult with certain CDs and DVDs. I have to imagine it had something to do with the drive. Certain DVDRs it would just spit out. Don't recall it happening when any of my regular cds though.