Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noisy_cats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Has anyone got any tips/advice for removing a stubborn (and now slightly mangled) screw in the RAM access panel on a powerbook G4?

Thanks in advance!

noisy_cats

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
noisy_cats said:
Has anyone got any tips/advice for removing a stubborn (and now slightly mangled) screw in the RAM access panel on a powerbook G4?

Thanks in advance!

noisy_cats

Do you mean stripping the head of the screw? And I'm assuming its a phillips screw? If so, it was probably caused by using to small of a screw driver. What I would suggest is using a Phillips screwdriver thats a notch bigger in size and see if it fits in the grooves, then apply a little pressure and turn. You may want to hold the screw driver in certain angles and turn to see if the screw turns also. The same would apply to removing a torx screw.

If it doesn't want to budge after all attempts, then you'll simply have to drill it out.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
It's an odd one that screw size, it's "0" Philips or somesuch.

I used the big knife-blade on my Swiss army knife and was very careful, they came out OK.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
You do have to be really careful with those screws, they're very small. And when you put it back together again, make sure that the cover is down securely. I didn't have cover panel seated correctly when I first changed my ram and the battery wouldn’t sit flush because of it.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Just whatever you do, do not make it any worse than it may currently be - i.e. do not strip the head of it becuase i wouldnt like the job of having to drill it out!!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I am having trouble with this. I have a lovely 1GB stick of RAM from Crucial still sitting in its cardboard box because I can't get the screws undone :(

I bought some cheapo precision screwdriver set from Maplin. The #0 philips one seems to be too big (so i guess i must need the 00 size) and the only one of the flat-head screwdrivers that fits is the 1.4mm one, which actually seems a little small but the next size up is too big. I can't seem to get enough torque with it and i'm soooooo worried that it will slip and scratch the hell out of the bottom of my precious PowerBook!

so where else can i get a cheap philips #00 from? i don't want to buy a swiss army knife/multi-tool thing as i have no other need for one. i suppose i'll have to see if they have any alternatives in maplin, but can you think of any other retail stores that may have one? b&q??? doesn't seem worth buying one on the web and paying more delivery charges than the thing is worth.

Applespider

macrumors G4
dietcokevanilla said:
so where else can i get a cheap philips #00 from? i don't want to buy a swiss army knife/multi-tool thing as i have no other need for one. i suppose i'll have to see if they have any alternatives in maplin, but can you think of any other retail stores that may have one? b&q???

Electronics shops are probably your best bet. I got mine in Frys in the US. Depending on where in London you are and how long you need it for, I could lend you mine. Only trouble comes if you ever need to take that 1GB RAM stick back out before sending it off for Applecare etc ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
russed said:
Just whatever you do, do not make it any worse than it may currently be - i.e. do not strip the head of it becuase i wouldnt like the job of having to drill it out!!
If that happens, a nice way to deal is to get an itty bitty Dremel disc and cut in a slot, so it can be turned out with a flat blade.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
if you can't get it, stop by a jewlers.

I was taking some timy screws out of an iBook and stripped the crap out of it (which is really frustrating). I have a firend who is a jewler in my town and I took it to him, and he got it out no big deal. They deal with tiny stuff like that all the time, and have the tools for it.

just be gentle with them, they are relatively easy to strip. :rolleyes:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Applespider said:
Electronics shops are probably your best bet. I got mine in Frys in the US. Depending on where in London you are and how long you need it for, I could lend you mine. Only trouble comes if you ever need to take that 1GB RAM stick back out before sending it off for Applecare etc ;)

Awww thank you that's very kind of you! (I'm in west london btw) But actually the jewellers suggestion that someone else made is a good idea, perhaps i'll just take it down to the local shops with me, or i will try maplin again to see if they have another set.

Hmmm that thing about AppleCare - would you advise that I keep the 256MB stick that I take out then? I was going to try to sell it maybe here or on ebay, although probably wouldn't get much for it anyway.

Applespider

macrumors G4
dietcokevanilla said:
Hmmm that thing about AppleCare - would you advise that I keep the 256MB stick that I take out then? I was going to try to sell it maybe here or on ebay, although probably wouldn't get much for it anyway.

I kept mine since I guessed I might only get £10 to £15 for it and at least should my 1GB stick fail at some point, I can get back to 512MB immediately rather than struggle with 256MB for a few days.

I'd also read reports (on the Apple boards) of people sending hardware back to Apple for support (where a problem is intermittent etc) with mixed RAM and it being returned with the third party RAM in a bag saying that was the problem - even when the Mac was promptly turned back on, sans 3rd party RAM, and the problem happened again immediately. ;)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Thanks for the advice, I think you're right, I wouldn't get much for it so probably safest to keep it, just in case anything happens to my beloved silver box of tricks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.