trouble resetting/shutting down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JonD25, Jan 3, 2007.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble shutting down and resetting my iMac. I'm running 10.4.8, and what happens is when I try to reset or shut down, it's like everything closes, but my desktop background is frozen on the screen and all I have left is the mouse (which can move freely). It'll sit there for as long as I have patience to wait (I've even stepped away for quite a few minutes and it was still there when I got back). I'm left only to hard shut down by holding down the power button. I've had to do this several times. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it? It's incredibly frustrating.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Something is most likely hanging on shutdown. Have you installed any apps lately?

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, quite a few.

That's running at the time of shut down? Ummm.... Gmail Notifier is the only one that wasn't installed at all before. Everything else has been updated to the most recent versions. They all are Quicksilver, VirtueDesktops, and Yahoo Widget Engine, but I never had any problems with any of them before. Do you think the Gmail Notifier is the culprit?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, turn it off/disable it to find out. It could also be a Yahoo Widget. :)

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed. Take the time out and shut them down and see how it goes...you will be the able to find the bad seed...it could be itunes as well or any other apps making it hang.

Bless

6. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I've been quite busy, but I finally had time to try and troubleshoot to see if I could find a possible culprit app that was hanging. Long story short, it's not an app hanging. I closed every single app that was open till all there was left was Finder, and it still hung on me. I've tried repairing permissions, verifying the disk, but neither helped. Any other ideas?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you mean the disk verify came back with no errors? Also, to test if it's a rogue user process, see if you get the same problems in a fresh user account. :)

8. Kodex macrumors member

Boot into verbose mode command + V at boot till black screen. When you shut down it will give you a verbose shutdown and you can see what step it is hanging at.

9. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, some extra things to throw in to the fray...

1) I created a brand new account, logged in to it, then went to restart. Same exact problem.

2) I tried holding down Apple+V, and it didn't boot in to verbose. I also realized that earlier when I was trying to boot from my install disk, it wouldn't boot from the CD when I held down C.

3) I ended up using Onyx to set it to boot in verbose mode. It boots fine, but then when I go to restart again, it doesn't even get to a verbose mode for me to see what's going on. It's still stuck on the background wallpaper for my desktop and the mouse, and that's it.

4) It seems shutting down is working, but resetting is where I'm getting all these problems.

I don't want to have to reinstall AGAIN.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Standard Apple keyboard that came with my iMac.

12. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else? Still having problems. I haven't had the need to reset lately, and when I do, I just shut down and restart manually. But still, it's a problem I'd like fixed.